Thursday, April 23, 2009

Number Game We Love


Treyton can count up to 6 perfectly, but does pretty well up to ten. However, he is not acquainted with the actual numerals at all, and I was struggling with how to teach him to recognize numbers. He doesn't mind doing worksheets, and sometimes he wants to, but they become very repetitive to the both of us so I wanted to come up with something a little "funner" to teach something as hands-on as counting.

During my research for the letter L, I came across a ladybug game that Treyton and I just love.
I cut out 6 (you can do however many you would like) ladybugs, and then colored spots on each one (1-6), next I cut out cooresponding leaves, with the numerals 1-6 printed on them.

To play: I put the numerals in order - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - next I have Treyton pick a ladybug at random, he counts the spots, we then count the numerals in order until we find the cooresponding leaf for the ladybug to rest on. He then matches them up.

After two times through, Treyton came up with a few alternatives involving throwing a ball back and forth.... I won't share all the details with you here, I just wanted to make the point that you can follow the lead of your children, allow them to get creative and it will make the "learning" (shhhh) game last even longer.

This is a great way to get your child(ren) exposed to the different numbers and numerals, you'll be amazed at what your child picks up in time. This is a great example that you don't always need worksheets/books to teach. Often times basic fun and games can be turned into the best (and easiest) learning experiences.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Looks like a cute game! I don't know what your leaves/ladybugs look like on the other side, but I wanted to suggest that you could flip them over and put numbers 7-12 on the other side to extend the learning. You might consider laminating them to extend their life.

You could also make games out of them, like hop 6 times on the #6 and stomp 2 times on the #2, or later, pick two ladybugs and add their spots together.