Monday, July 13, 2009

Starting Week 2 of Sonlight

Okay, so yeah, I took last week off (again) Treyton started swimming lessons (everday) and I had a fairly rocky week, health wise (information for a different post... one which I will hopefully do on humble reflections)
Anyhow, we're starting week 2 of Sonlight... still loving it.

Everyday before we "start" learning new things, we review. Right now things on our review "list" are:

~ memory verses
(which include, "In you anger do not sin" Eph 4:26, "Do everything without complaining or arguing" Phil 2:14, "Trust in the Lord" Proverbs 3:5, The Fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22, and "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13)

~ Letters I still haven't found a great way to do this with Treyton, mostly because of his speech. He is much more likely to recognize a letter if I say "find _", if I have him show and tell me which letters he knows it doesn't go much further than T, X, O.... because those are the ones he says well. At the same time, Treyton hates to think hard for any length of time so if he doesn't find the letter right away he often starts asking "is it at the top, bottom or middle" (of the chart)... it usually doesn't end well... so long story short, I'm thinking about taking this part out of our morning, mostly because it's frustrating to us. At the same time, I would like a fun way to review before I let it completely go.

~ States We review on the US map where Wisconsin, Virginia, Louisiana and Florida are - those are the states where either, we or family live or we have visited recently. It amazes me how well Treyton does with a map!

~ Season This is fairly new, so right now I'm just asking "Can you name one of the seasons?" He isn't great at this yet. Though he is good at describing seasons (it's their names he struggles with) sometimes he says things like "snow, cold" and I'll say "That's good, do you know what season is cold and has snow?".... Last week he kept saying "rain" and I would say "yes, Spring has rain" so this week he said to me "Spring.... not rain.... spring" - Right now we're just going through and repeating the four seasons together and I'm having him point to our season chart.

~ Numbers This is really the only thing we are doing with numbers right now and it's working!! Today on a computer game I found out that he recognizes his letters up to 8 (though 6-8 I'm not sure if he knew or was lucky). Going through and just counting he is up to 11 (which is also further than I thought he could do)

As far as Sonlight itself goes, we read our stories today, Treyton wasn't overly interested in any particular topic so.... we did a few worksheets and right now, Treyton is working on a perler beads, fun fusion craft. (the beads you arrange and then iron to melt together) We picked up a couple from Michael's last week and he has really taken to it. I was not very surprised. He loves any crafts, but I'm particularly happy with this one because he has to slow down, be patient and it is certainly fine tuning his motor skills (it takes a steady hand and some concentration) plus when he does it he's either making his own or following a pattern. We made a dog (and attached a magnet) on saturday and now he is working on a star which he is desiging himself - how cool is that!!

No comments: