Sunday, October 25, 2009

Calendar Time

I've been thinking about doing something for teaching Treyton about the days of the week, months of the year and calendar time for a while.

Today, I had a little time and decided to start putting some things together. I had considered buying a calendar wall chart but couldn't find one I liked, and the one that I saw that I kind of liked was rather large. To be honest, wall space is one thing we don't have right now (doing school in the dining room and all). So I decided to make a calendar binder for us to use for calendar time.

To start the binder I first went to abcteach and printed off a page for each month - I plan on having Treyton fill in the dates every day when we start school.

Next I created some printables (myself!) so that we could still do some hands-on dates. Because we will be using a binder system, I set them up for size to fit into baseball card holders, which will be in our binder to do every day.
I'm including links to the printables below (for some reason the lines on the bottom of some of my printables got cut off but you could easily draw them on or cut a straight line without an actual line!

Days of the Week - I printed this on white card stock
Days of the Week

Months of the Year
- I printed these on creme card stock to distinguish them from the days of the week
Months of the Year

Calendar Digits - I printed on white card stock
Calendar Digits

Calendar Terms - I printed on orange cardstock (because it's Treyton's favorite color) because these terms will not be moved, they are the "constant" part of the binder and I wanted to distinguish them drastically.
Calendar Terms

Obviously, I have not used these yet but I thought I would share them for those of you that are interested. I hope to start implementing some calendar time in the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to update how it's going.

4 comments:

Virginia Lee said...

Very cool! You might want to check out hubbardscupboard.com as well. She has a calendar notebook/binder in her 4 year old curriculum. She has free printables that go with it.

Did you get the email I sent about the replying to comments issue? Just wondering if it worked.

http://rogersfamilycircus.blogspot.com/

Amber said...

I breezed through hubbardscupboard, I actually got a little lost, but will try to hit it up again sometime soon.
To be honest I haven't checked out the comment thing yet... I will soon and I'll let you know. Thanks for all your great tips!

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Just a suggestion since you have an empty space on the "Today is" page...

You could put the day of the week (Monday) after Today is, then on the bottom put month, date, and have a different color for a "year" card (2009, 2010).

I like this idea, since we also use the kitchen table and have given up calendar time because of no wall space to hang my already made calendar that is too big.

Amber said...

Jessica,
Thanks! That's a great idea.
If you haven't yet, take a look at the daily binder post I did today for some more ideas for converting from using wall items to a binder it would obviously be a little different cause your girls are older but still some good ideas to get your mind moving in that direction.
http://refinedmetalsacademy.blogspot.com/2009/10/daily-binder.html