Friday, December 18, 2009

Advent Calendar 2009

We have continued on with our Advent Calendar and things are going GREAT, better than expected!
I thought I was aiming high when I wanted to teach Treyton the symbols of Christmas and what they meant - boy was I wrong - he is more than able (and willing) to learn what our traditions mean.
This has been the best Christmas by far for our family for implementing the real meaning of Christmas into our holiday season, and I am so thankful for how much the Lord is revealing to our little man's heart.

I haven't done great with taking pictures of our journey, which on one hand I regret a little bit, but at the same time I have been able to participate more fully by not being distracted by taking pictures.

For each symbol we have discussed the meaning behind it, filled in the meaning in our lapbook and for some read a book to go along with what we are teaching as well as an activity/craft of some sort.

Since my last post we have gone through the following symbols:

Gifts - The kids received a gift from us... Elefun! Tim and I were a little disappointed (I think we were expecting a little more "power" in the blower) but the kids have just LOVED this game and played it everyday since.

Ornaments - We made a homemade ornament for a family member whose name we have in the family ornament exchange

Wreath - We took our wreath out from the basement and the plan was to hang it on the front door, but for the life of me I couldn't find our door hanger! Either way we brought it up, talked about it and let the kids touch and examine it.
We also printed off a paper wreath that we colored, cut out and glued together as a family. This craft took a little longer than I expected (cutting was hard!) but the kids thoroughly enjoyed it so we were able to complete it - it turned out beautiful.






Nativity - We took our nativity out and talked about the characters. Treyton struggles with the concept that the stable is not a house as much as it is a barn. For him our little people nativity set looks more like a house... I can see the confusion.


Candy Cane - Treyton made a candy cane out of pipe cleaners - and him and Lexie enjoyed candy canes while watching a Christmas movie. Lexie also "dotted" a candy cane with the do-a-dots which I plan on cutting out and putting on the front of the lapbook.

If you are interested in more resources or in my previous post regarding our advent calendar please see my previous post here

No comments: