Saturday, January 30, 2010

Human Body Unit: Book List

This week we finished up our Human Body Unit - we had so much fun with this unit!
We used TONS of books for our Unit Study but these are the ones that really stood out to me as we went through it.
I hope you all can find it useful!

Photobucket
From Head to Toe” Eric Carle
It was a fun read, but not really a part of our human body study

Photobucket

Hear your heart” by Paul Showers
I actually bought this book because I liked it so much but then when we started learning about the heart I forgot we had it – I’ve read it to him since then but it didn’t have the same affect (for me)

Photobucket
Your Insides” by Joanna Cole
We used this book mostly for the pictures but it is written at a level Treyton could understand – I would recommend this one
Photobucket

My Five Senses” by aliki
Heard a lot of good things about this book so we got it from the library it was great for Treyton and Alexa. It was written simply but we only wanted to cover the senses at a very introductory level so it was perfect for what we wanted. The illustrations are simple, which is generally a turn-off for Treyton but he handled it okay because it was such an easy/quick page turning book.

Photobucket
An Usborne Flap Book See Inside Your Body
Treyton absolutely LOVES this book. We actually checked this book out from the library before just because Treyton likes the “flaps” It’s at a level that is way over his head but we are able to use it at our level. Treyton flips the flaps and asks me questions. Sometimes I know the answers, sometimes I don’t ;) If I don’t I just wing it
Photobucket
Me and My Amazing Body” by Joan Sweeney
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I enjoyed it slightly more than Treyton – as usual Treyton actually prefers the “technical” pictures of the human body (he prefers the same with his animal books, real pictures vs. illustrations) but this entire series is great for introducing concepts at a pre-K/Kindergarten level. Love ‘em.

Photobucket
Body IQ
This is one of Treyton’s favorite books – again I think it’s because it has the skeleton and game in it but it’s very colorful and well illustrated – things that attract him – easy to read, slightly over his level but easy to adjust.

Photobucket
The Magic School Bus Goes inside the human body
Treyton’s FAVORITE human body book, without question. I wrote about it before, it covered a little more than what I wanted to cover but was easy to adjust to Treyton’s level and what we were learning. Treyton could not get over the bus shrinking and then being eaten, but at the same time, that was what attracted him to it as well. At first the book confused him because he couldn’t tell what was “pretend” and what was real, but after studying the different parts of the human body he began to figure it out a little better.
The Usborne Flip-Flap Body Book
This is an excellent book – it is broken down into three parts, digestion, senses and reproduction (babies). Treyton learned almost everything he learned about digestion from this book and he even asked to read it during casual storytimes. It always helps when the book has little flaps because Treyton gets a kick out of that.

Photobucket
Under Your Skin: Your Amazing Body” Mick Manning
Decent book – again, the flaps are great for Treyton – we didn’t use this book as much as I thought we would – not because it wasn’t good but because Treyton preferred some of the other books a little more. Looking at it now though it looks like it would have been a great addition if we would have used it more.

Photobucket
Look, Listen, Taste, Touch and Smell” by Pamela Nettleton

Breath In, Breath Out” by Pamela Nettleton
Thump, Thump: Learning about your heart” Pamela Nettleton
Gurgle and Growls: Learning about your Stomach” Pamela Nettleton
Think, Think, Think: Learning about your brain” Pamela Nettleton
I found this series in the middle of our studies and wished I would have found them sooner. Written at Treyton’s level and covering only one topic per book I liked being able to just grab a book and read it.
The pictures are simply but well illustrated keeping it again, at Treyton’s level.

We had several experiment books on the human body my favorites were:
Photobucket

Play and Find out about the Human Body” by Janice VanCleave’s

Very easy things you could do mostly with items around our house that explained some fun things about the human body. I got this one in the middle of our studies and wished I would have gotten it sooner. This is one I’ve considered purchasing just because you could do it any time just for something fun to do and it explains questions that kids have all the time. (like – why is my hair curly or straight? Why can I see my breath when it’s cold, etc.)

Photobucket
First Science Experiments: The Amazing Human Body” by Shar Levine and Leslie Johnstone
My favorite of the experiment books – another one I am thinking about buying – answers basic questions kids ask all the time. My only complaint is that I wish there were more in this book.


3 comments:

Ticia said...

Wow! Great list of books, and I"m with you LOVE Me and My Amazing Body!

MoziEsmé said...

Thank you! I'm off to see what our library has from this list...

Rebecca said...

Thanks for this great list :)