Sunday, January 24, 2010

Unit Study: Human Body - Heart & Lungs



 This week we finished up the body organs. After this week I think we will have one more week on the human body talking about feelings, our five senses and growing up (measurements).

Heart 
We started this week finishing up a bone experiment, through doing this experiment we talked about how bones help to make part of our blood. This brought us into talking about the heart. We listened to our hearts with my baby monitor (thinger). And we also used our fists (opening and close them) to illustrate that our heart opens and closes to push the blood through.

Lungs 
We did a fun lung experiment this week that I found in "First Science Experiments: The Amazing Human Body". We took a milk jug and marked on it the cup marks (pouring in one cup of water at a time). We put the lid on the jug, and then put it upside down in a bowl filled with an inch or so of water in it. We took the lid off and inserted a tube into the bottom of the jug. We each took a turn taking a deep breath and blew out as much air as we could - we measured how many cups of air we could hold in our lungs.
Treyton measured 6 cups
I measured 8 cups (Side note: I think I could have done more)
Tim measured 23 cups 
This was a fun experiment - Tim really liked it - I only used a quart size for Treyton and I, but once Tim realized that he could blow all of that out he of course had to figure out a way to see exactly how much he could blow out. Too cute :)
 
Here we are setting up the lung experiment


Here is Tim trying to prove himself!

We watched a video online about the respiratory system - Treyton really enjoyed this.

Lapbook
For our lapbook this week we printed a coloring page of lungs and added a lung fact to it "Lungs breath in good air and out bad air" which we attached to our lapbook. 

I also had Treyton color his Body Organ sheet we printed off at Homeschool Share he did a great job identifying and coloring the organs all on his own - it included a liver which we haven't talked about - I described it to him as the place where stomach juices comes from.


Lessons Learned:
~ The Heart pumps blood through the body
~ The heart works all the time - even when we are sleeping.  
~ The Lungs breath in good air and out bad air
~ Treyton can also identify the heart, lungs, stomach and intestines from a picture of the bodies organs.

Books We Read This Week: 


5 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Really interesting lung experiment!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. Enjoy it lots! I would not mind some info on how you schedule your time/day. How do you get everything done? Especially planning and preparing materials? Please Share....

Ticia said...

Wow, those are some cool experiments. I'm just adding cool books that I want to find left and right to my wish list. Seriously, I think I've added 5 today.
Oh, and I got your package, it's awesome! Now to start putting things together.

Virginia Lee said...

Great experiments!

I gave you an award.

MoziEsmé said...

Love that lung experiment! And thanks for sharing the book picks, too...