Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Little Bit of Help Here!

As of right now I have two units planned - our next unit Snakes we are starting today (I think) and then we have an Ocean Unit that will take us at least 2-3 weeks to complete.

It's time to start thinking about what we're going to do after these.

So, I wanted to ask you all, where do you come up with your unit ideas? Up to this point I have been trying to go off of Treyton's interest, but my "laid back boy" is not very helpful.

When I've asked him in the last week several times if there was anything he wanted to learn about everytime his answer was "dirt".... dirt?!?! When I probed a little more, he just said "Our field has lots of bumps and dirt in it"

I'm fine learning about dirt, but what is there to teach a 4 1/2 year old about dirt? I considered adding it to a rock & mineral study or even doing a plants, flowers & dirt study (seeing as how spring is around the corner we could plant some seeds, etc.) But let's be honest, we live in Wisconsin and spring is a little further out than March (or even April)... sigh!

So, I am at the place where I need a little help, unit ideas, dirt ideas, etc.

Anything you could throw my way would be helpful!!

Thanks,

7 comments:

Catherine said...

No ideas about dirt, but we love Hubbard's Cupboard 4's curriculum! Each theme is based on a biblical character trait. Here it is if you want to check it out:

http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/character.html#LessonPlans

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I did a unit study on worms when I was a preschool teacher (MANY years ago!). We learned about different kinds of worms (earthworms, leeches, recycling worms, etc), segmented or not, etc. I don't have any of the info I used (it was like 15 years ago!), but I'm sure this could take you somewhere.

Another fun idea would be bugs, insects, etc. That unit could take awhile, too, and would fit with spring.

Since it is still winter, you could do winter animals, hibernation, etc for a week or two. This could bring you a little closer to spring which would be better for the other units. How about trucks/transportation/community helpers? Those could be done anytime. We usually did them in the winter.

Virginia Lee said...

Amber, Just sent you a long email. Let me know if you have any questions. =) Hope some of it helps. Love getting to chose new ideas!!!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever looked at the book... The Well Trained Mind...? I discovered it about a year ago and really like it as a resource for unit ideas and resources to teach those units. Check it out at your library.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you might want to try a Frog Unit. I just saw a commercial for the Children's Musuem in Appleton. They have a Frog Exhibit set up until the end of April. That would be a cool way to start or end a science theme. Hope this helps??

Ticia said...

Hmmmm...... I have to admit the themes I'm using this year come from the My Father's World kinder curriculum.
Another place you could get ides is from the "Letter of the Week" website by Brightly Beaming. They do a different theme for each letter and some of those might interest him.
I agree, though, all of my ideas related towards dirt are more of spring ideas.

Amber said...

Thank you guys for all your ideas - I am certainly going to be looking into some of this stuff.

I like the idea of a dirt/worm (and maybe even a plant growth) study and I know that Treyton would love it but I think I am going to try to wait until it gets a little bit warmer. Even if we can get to April, that's when we will start planting our seeds for our garden so that would be great timing.

For now, I decided to do a study on the moon and sun. I thought about adding the planets, but I figure we will do that in time, so I just went simple.

Thanks again for all your help, I can't wait to share with you all some of what I've found already.