Friday, February 5, 2010

Unit Study: Dinosaurs - Book List

This week we learned about Dinosaurs, we had a great time and I can't wait to share with you all, all that we learned, but for now, I have our book list put together, so we will start with that. I have attached links to all of the books so if you want to see more about them (or purchase them through amazon) all you need to do is click on the title.

What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book!! Seriously. I don't care if you are learning about Dinosaurs or not, this book belongs in your home library. (click on the link and you can get it from amazon for $8.79!). We read this book everyday this week for our study and sometimes more than once. It's obviously about dinosaurs but it incorporates, the fall, the flood, sin and Jesus on the cross!! This book lead Treyton and I to our deepest discussions EVER on sin, the human condition, grace and what Jesus accomplished on the cross. AND on top of all that (as if that were not enough), the dinosaur facts were EXCELLENT!! I cannot imagine doing any type of dinosaur study without this book. 5 out of 5 stars for me!!

Dinosaur Babies - This book Treyton actually received as a gift a while back but it was perfect for our unit study. I did change a few of the references to time as we would read, but it was simply written while being full of good information.

If Dinosaurs Could Talk - these books are a little older, in fact you can't even get them new from amazon and the Brontosaurus was still called a Brontosaurus. I found them at my library and checked out the Stegosaurus, T-Rex, Brontosaurus and Triceratops ones. They were great!! They are written as though the Dinosaur was talking too the child, with basic information about themselves. These were the best resources that we used to complete our very own "Book of Dinosaurs" - I did change the references to time (from 65 million years to "a long time ago")


The Magic School Bus Flies with Dinosaurs - I got this book because Treyton enjoyed the human body one so much - he again liked the school bus books but they were very evolution centered so I ended up changing most of the words/story throughout the book. This book is primarily centered on the fact that birds come from (are related to) dinosaurs.

Dinosaurumpus - This was a cute little rhyming beat book, it wasn't very educational but it was a nice break to facts and brought us back to just having a good time - includes colorful illustrations.


Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones - This was a very easy read with colorful illustrations.  It is a very basic explanation of the process of putting together a dinosaur skeleton. It starts with the find, digging, transporting and continues to the placing the pieces of bones together. We used this book mostly on the day we talked about fossils and it was great! I would recommend it.


Tadpole Rex - I don't have too much to say about this book, I felt like it was extremely hard to follow because it was more concerned with rhyming than making sense. It is more evolution focused though I don't know if a child would pick up on that or not.... I read some great reviews on this book, and saw that alot of people used it, but personally I was disappointed.

Meet the Dinosaurs - This book is exactly what the title says - an introduction to different types of dinosaurs. Every page layout is of a different dinosaur with the dinos name and a simple fact about them. Very cute, good "real-life" pictures and great intro book (which was perfect for us). An example of one page would be "Here is the scary Tyrannosaurus. It has sharp teeth."


Three-Horn: The Adventures of Triceratops -

Triceratops (Pebble Plus) - We used this book to learn more about the "three-horn" for our own dinosaur book. Like all the Pebble Books, it is written simply but with solid information. I did change the dates in this book as I read it.

Long Neck: The Adventure of Apatosaurus -

When Dinosaurs Came with Everything - I will be honest, maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I was not expecting this book to be a fictional story of a boy who gets a dinosaur with every errand he and his mother runs one particular Friday. It is a cute story, and other than not being what I expected, we had a fun time reading it throughout our week.


Danny and the Dinosaur - this was another book that was gifted to Treyton as he was going through his infatuation with dinosaurs. It's a cute little story about a boy, Danny, who goes to the museum and ends up spending the day with a real-life dinosaur. I particularly liked how the story ended, the boy and dinosaur parting ways each going back home or to the museum - I don't know why, but sometimes it just bugs me when the kids in the story get to keep any and every pet they bring home. :)

1 comment:

Ticia said...

I love your book lists. I'd also add the Jane Yolen "How do Dinosaurs...." to it. But, you've found some great books.