Sunday, April 18, 2010

New Daily Board & Calendar


We didn't get much school done this week, thanks to a broken arm for Treyton. If you want to hear more about our emergency room adventure check it out on my other blog here.

We did manage to get some school done before the broken bone though, including starting to implement our new school board.

Up until this point we have been using our Daily Binder to do most of the activities on this board (calendar, days of the week, months of the year, geography and weather) but with our new year about to begin (we will switch over in May/June) Treyton has taken on more subjects so we've begun to use our daily binder for more of his primary subjects (Bible, Math, Phonics, Health, Art and Geography) and his Unit Study binder for our Nature and Science studies. The system we are using now is similar to a workbox system but in binder format... we are LOVING it and it works great for us (more details to come, hopefully)

I will be honest, the inspiration for most of my board pieces I got from other blogs. I have been tossing around the idea for a while but did not have the space to put up a poster board and couldn't figure out how to make, store a use anything that was convenient for us. That's when I came up with the idea to use the back of our white board. We already take our white board out almost every day for school and it's easily stored most days behind the door in our bedroom, it was simple and sturdy and convenient for us to use. I've attached everything where I can easily add, remove or relocate any of the pieces with sticky tack.
Board Pieces
Letter, Number, Color and Shape of the Week:
I've added a Letter of the week, shape of the week and color of the week even though Treyton doesn't really need it I wanted to add it for Alexa (who is almost 2)and is a part of our board time so those are more for her, as an introduction and practice. 

Each of these posters (as I will call them) I made myself using scrap paper (for the back), cardstock, my printer and my laminator (which I LOVE).
~ We use dry erase markers to write the letter and numbers of the week.
~ I cut out circle pieces from scraps of cardstock for the color of the week which I then laminated - we attach the pieces with sticky plastic tac.
~ I also cut out the shapes from white cardstock and laminated them as well.

I've added a 'Letter of the week, shape of the week and color of the week that Treyton doesn't really need, but I went ahead and added it because Alexa (who is almost 2) is a part of our board time so those are more for her, as an introduction and practice. I've added a 'Letter of the week, shape of the week and color of the week that Treyton doesn't really need, but I went ahead and added it because Alexa (who is almost 2) is a part of our board time so those are more for her, as an introduction and practice. I've added a 'Letter of the week, shape of the week and color of the week that Treyton doesn't really need, but I went ahead and added it because Alexa (who is almost 2) is a part of our board time so those are more for her, as an introduction and practice.

Verse of the week
I made a mini book for Treyton a while back filled with all of his memory verses, the ones he already learned as well as the verses I wanted him to learn in the near future. Several times a week we go through the book and he recites his verses to me.
I have attached clipart to each verse as a reminder to him for which verse we are on. (He has not learned the verse addresses as of yet). I used the same printouts that I used for his book to use on our daily board that way there will not be any transition from one place to the other - they are the same.

State of the Week 
I printed out a copy of the same map we use for our geography pages (again so there is no transitional barriers) I laminated it (as part of the poster) and Treyton colors in the state we are covering that week with a dry erase marker.

Sight Words 
I have been struggling to find a system to even introduce sight words to Treyton so I have also added a section to our board to cover sight words. (I made the poster the same as the others) I am introducing sight words in the same order that ETC does to go along with our phonics program. I simply printed off the sight words onto cardstock and cut them out, I attach these as well with plastic tack.

Days of the Week & 12 Months
These came directly out of our daily binder.

Days of the Week - I made the days of the week pieces to correlate with our date pieces - I ran out of room on our board so after laminating the pieces I punched holes in them and attached key rings to them so I could flip them. (If you click on the link you will be able to download the days of the week chart)
12 Months I printed from Hubbards Cupboard 

Calendar
The Calendars I printed off from ABC Teach we are now filling in the calendar at the beginning of each month and marking off the days as we go. Treyton enjoys this because he can see our schedule and any upcoming activities he is excited for. He will ask to mark off the days even on the days we don't do school.

Date 
We are using the same process we used before to fill out the date each day - they are baseball sleeves which I made the pieces for, printed on cardstock and cut out. I have now trimmed down the baseball sleeves to fit appropriately on the board. To download any of these for yourself please click the links below.
Days of the Week Cards
Digit Cards
Month Cards
Calendar Term Cards

Weather & Temperature
We printed off the weekly weather chart and Today's Temperature chart from Jolanthe at Homeschool Creations. I printed the actual weather chart on purple cardstock just to give it a little color. And the pieces are on white cardstock - all of it laminated. The thermometer is also laminated so that we can color in the temperatures everyday.

Last Name
Lastly, I printed our last name on cardstock with some fun ink colors - we sing the spelling of our last name to the tune of twinkle, twinkle, little star everyday to learn it.

Calendar Links & Resourcse 
So there you have it, I have loved not only using this board but putting it together was actually fun too.
If you are interested in making your own calendar/daily board check out these other sites:
1+1+1=1 
Homeschool Creations and part 2 
My Family My Forever

10 comments:

Alexis said...

Like I said LOVE THIS. And definitely want to do one - have any idea where I might could get mine laminated so that I don't have to make 1000 copies and replace them everyday.

Virginia Lee said...

Wow, did you do this before or after Audrey was born? Great idea, very cute too.

Does Alexa recognize any of the shapes, colors etc yet? Caroline is really not interested unless it has to do with music or animals.

Also, love your little table in the photo. We have been looking for one in our price range.

Amber said...

Mom, you can get your stuff laminated at most office supply stores - office max, staples, those kind of places. It's not expensive at all. I really hope you put one of these together your kids will love it and I think you will all get something out of it.

Our Country Road said...

This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing your system!

Ashley Skye said...

I really like this. I am not thinking about maybe doing something for Ryan with his school spelling words etc. Maybe some other stuff I would like him to learn like verses or maybe a reading bible chart. I would just have to come up with a place to put it. If it is not out all the time we will not use it. Maybe in the kitchen behind the bathroom door with the calendar. Ideas Ideas. Later I could use it with the baby too like you are with Alexa

sbswtp said...

Great post!!! I am currently working on our calendar system. I'm now following you :)

Ticia said...

LOVE the idea of spelling your last name. We might have to start doing this, but then I also just need to work on being more consistent with my calendar time.
I did so good when I was teaching in public school with that, but not so much at home.

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing this. I'm planning to do something like this for my daughter. Your post gave me lots of ideas. It's also great that you link to others with the same ideas.

McMama said...

So glad that you are my "mini-crew mate"! I'm gonna steal a lot of your ideas!! My almost 5 year old boy would enjoy these things...you're doing a great job with all of this!!

My Family My Forever said...

Amber, this is awesome! I love your whole calendar board set-up! You are so creative and so much fun in your schooling ideas.