Sunday, June 13, 2010

Kindergarten: Week 1


This was Treyton’s first week of Kindergarten and it totally rocked!!
I am very much looking forward to the next year of school together and how much I know Treyton is going to progress and learn.
Math
We did two lessons of Horizon’s math this week. The lessons are getting a little bit harder so we’re slowing down to make sure we actually get the concepts. This week we introduced addition and Treyton did great with it.
Next we are learning to count by 10’s. We are still struggling a little to count by 2’s and 5’s, he’s starting to get the 2s, but I’m trying to find a song/tune to sing the skip counting too. Any suggestions?
Language Arts
Language arts, which includes our phonics and reading we are doing a little differently now. I am using Sonlight’s K Language Arts program and from what I have read and used so far, I think we’re really going to like it. It’s expanding our horizon’s quiet a bit.  We’re doing more than just phonics and reading, we’re doing more copy work and dictation, as well as reading good literature.
One of our favorite activities this week was reading the story’s (fables) in Ruth Beechick’s Language and Thinking. Treyton re-told me the story of “The Crow and the Pitcher”, I printed it out and then he illustrated. He enjoyed this activity so much we did it again with one of his art drawings this week.
Crow and PitcherWe also worked in the Explode the Code book 1, we did only a few pages. And for reading Treyton actually begged to do his progressive phonics book this week and one day when it was time for lunch and I told him he would have to wait this is what he looked like:
june frustrated for not reading june frustrated for not reading2

Geography
We introduced Mississippi this week. He put his state page together and added it to his binder.
june geography It was no problem for Treyton to review the states he already knew, even with a several week break. I counted 21 states off the top of my head that he is now able to recognize almost entirely by name alone.
Handwriting
We are using A Reason for Handwriting, which I like. The first three or four days he practiced writing a word at a time like good or give or Lord. On the last day he copied the entire verse on some fun paper.
This week our verse was Psalm 136:1, I wanted to work on Treyton memorizing the verses as he worked on them, but didn’t have the time to add it to our daily board, so I am hoping I will get it done by next week.
Handwriting - June
Art
I picked up the Usborne  book “I Can Draw Animals” at CHEA which I highly recommend for this age group. We learned to draw a Teddy Bear, and added background as well. On Friday, Treyton told me a story about his bear and I wrote it down.  IMG_0007 Bible
This week for Bible we studied the story of Gideon, which I posted about separately.
Science
We combined our Science and B4FIAR this week.  You can read about our plant unit here.
An incredible week!!


If you want to see what others did this week go to
preschool corner

weekly wrap-up

7 comments:

sbswtp said...

What a fantastic week!!! It looks like Kindergarten is going to be so much fun :)

Angela said...

How great your 1st week was so great! Welcome to the crew, great to meet another crew member.

Angela

Lisa said...

Looks like it was eventful week. It's nice for things to get off to a good start, huh?

Laura O said...

Amber,

Looks like a great first week of K for you and your son. I sure miss the days of just littles in the house.

Welcome to the TOS Crew from one of the First Mates for the upper levels.

April said...

Looks like a great start to Kindergarten! Love that your geography lesson started with Mississippi :) I'm in central MS.

Wendy said...

It sounds like you had so much fun during your son's first week of "school." I remember 12 years ago when I first started homeschooling my older daughter, and I can't believe it was that long ago!! Mainly I want to welcome you to the TOS Homeschool Crew and say that I hope you enjoy your year with us! I signed up to follow your blog too. :)

FM Wendy

chubbycheeks said...

Looks like a great week!