Friday, June 18, 2010

Kindergarten: Week 2

Our second week of Kindergarten: we had visitors the second half of the week, but we still were able to get in a full weeks worth of school

Math
We spent a lot of time working on addition, using mostly hands-on manipulatives, games and of course, a few worksheets.
One of the “tools” we’re using is an addition sign cut out of black construction paper and quarters to help Treyton figure out the answers. He prefers to count with his fingers, so I think this will help more when we get into the larger addition.
My favorite game of the week was from Confessions of a Homeschooler’s called Add It! Math Game. AWESOME!! If you have a kids learning addition, this is a great resource, and totally free!!

IMG_0050
We also worked on counting by 2s again this week. I made up a tune for counting by 2s  and Treyton caught on within a couple of minutes – it was amazing. I couldn’t believe how easy it was, I will definitely be using songs to teach the 5s and 10s as well, I’m still trying to come up with a catchy tune (any ideas?)
IMG_0010
We continued with our lessons in Horizons, I think we only did 1 this week, so we’re at 27 or 28.

Language Arts
We finished the /a/ lessons (lesson 3) in our explode the code books. Treyton is getting MUCH better at not only reading but comprehending.  He is only reading CVC words at this point and a few sight words, but is continuing to progress, which is what I am looking for. We also started lesson 4 –which is the short /i/ sound. The words are a little tougher for him (bill, Jill, etc.) but I’m sure he’ll pick up on them.

IMG_0051
I also found off of ABC and 123 a link to The Homeschool Highway for a phonics flip chart (check the side bar for the download) I put it together and I think it’s going to work out great! The first morning we used it we talked about/read over 20 words.  There are lots of ways to make Phonics Flip Charts and I think they are great for not only reading, but learning rhyming and comprehension as well.

For sight words, he has on and is memorized and we are working the, has and in. He is catching on pretty well to has and in, the is taking a little while

We read the Old Lady and the Pig story out of Ruth Beechick’s Language and Thinking which Treyton thought was entertaining. I didn’t have him narrate the story back because it was so long, but he did retell the story to me later, trying to get me to remember it. It wasn’t perfect but he did well. 

On Monday, Treyton (as usual) asked to read his CVC flashcard words that I made him. He was able to read 12 words.

Treyton was on such a roll with language arts this week we also pulled out our Happy Phonics and worked on the Rhyme Time game. This game has two sets of cards with rhyming pictures (no written words). You lay out one set and put the other in a pile, you turn over the pile one at a time matching it with a rhyming card. I was surprise at how tough of an exercise it was for him, but it was good for him, and I learned an area that he should practice in a little more.

IMG_0013
Geography
My plan for the year was only to introduce one state every other week, but he is doing so well with remembering them, I may add in a few more here and there. june geography
Treyton continues to use his 50 states puzzle (by melissa and doug) he takes a lot of pride in completing it on his own. 
 

Handwriting
We are using A Reason for Handwriting, this week our verse was Psalm 78:1.  I decided that I am going to do my own Bible verses for memory instead of the ones in our handwriting book. 
IMG_0056 IMG_0057

This is what a typical lesson looks like – I really like the format. 

Handwriting - June
Art
We only did art one day this week, we learned to draw a cat out of the Usborne  book “I Can Draw Animals” To be honest Treyton’s looked a little more like a rabbit, but that’s okay.
 

Bible
We studied Ruth this week which I will post on soon

Science
For science this week we continued on with our Plants & Flowers Unit which I will also be posting on soon.

B4FIAR
We rowed the book “ABC Bunny” and instead of working on a lapbook this week we just did a variety of alphabet activities that you can read about here (when I post it) . 
If you want to see what others did this week go to
weekly wrap-uppreschool corner

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great week! I love seeing all the different curriculum books people use :)

Ticia said...

Sounds like a great week! We didn't have visitors and I didn't get anywhere near as much done as you.

Monica said...

Hi Amber - I love the Explode the Code books too. The girls and I are going to learn the states this year too with MFW Adventures! Looks like you are having fun!

Laurie said...

Visiting from the Crew Blog Walk!
You have renewed my thrill for homeschooling. It's been a few years since I had a beginning student. The early years are the best, in my opinion... ;)
I look forward to getting to know you!

Rodna James said...

My son is starting Kindergarten this year too!
My son loves math. I may have to check out that game.
We use HWT for handwriting, but have used A Reason for Handwriting in the past with my daughter.
You know how my 5 year old learned a lot of the states? From his leap pad game. Yeah! It was fun and I didn't have to "make" him learn it. I wasn't even trying to teach him that, but his sister was doing it ,so of course he wanted to too!
Well, it is nice to meet you, and I may have to check out your blog often to see what you are doing in Kindergarten!

Suzette said...

Hey Amber! Great blog! I love what you're doing in Kindergarten. (I love the name of your blog too!) Just stopping by from the TOS crew forum!

Apryl said...

Reading your blog makes me wish I was homeschooling my girls at that age! Just stopping by from the TOS Blog Walk.

wdworkman said...

Looks like a fun week! Almost makes me miss the "Kindergarten" days.

Janet W
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/