Thursday, June 17, 2010

Plants and Flowers Unit: Story and Craft

This week for our craft we decided to make a flower that showed all the parts of a flower. This was not only a great craft but also helped Treyton to identify and distinguish between each parts of the flower (flower, pollen, stem, leaf and roots).
First we read a couple of books:

IMG_0024


My Garden by Kevin Henkes
Tiny Seed by Eric Carle 
 How Flowers Grow (and Usborne Book)

CRAFT:
I cut out circles – one yellow and six pink for each child. I then cut out a long green rectangle (for the stem) and a few green pointy ovals (for leaves).
I assembled one as an example for the kids and they each did there own. I glued Lexie’s pieces but she applied them herself.  We talked about each part of the flower as we assembled it.

IMG_0029 IMG_0027 Here they are working on it
IMG_0032
IMG_0033
The finished Products!!

6 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Very nice flowers - even if a heavy wind obviously hit the one :) I looks like they really worked intently on them!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Great list of gardening books!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Lexie did a great job. Now I'm wondering how my toddler would do if I let him try to glue a flower together.

sbswtp said...

What a fun project! I love that you did it with both of them...and that they came out so different. I love Lexie's!

littlewondersdays said...

So cute! Good book assortment too.

Charlene said...

We read the book My Garden this week too :)

Love the flowers!