Monday, June 28, 2010

Tot School: Challenges and Rewards

Lexa is such a blessing to our family. She is her own person - incredibly smart, independent, sincere, dramatic, hilariously funny, loving and stubborn.  Doing Tot School with her is both challenging and rewarding.

That’s what this post is all about. IMG_0019

Challenge: the other day while I had my backed turned in the school room, working with Treyton on a math problem she got into the rubber stamps… instead of using the stamps she went right for the source, the ink pad.

IMG_0002

Reward: The other day, Treyton spent the night at his Aunt Toni’s and went strawberry picking. While he was away I got to spend a little one-on-one time with Lexa while Audrey slept in. This rarely happens so we made the most of it – making eggs for breakfast. Alexa loved the opportunity to help all by herself and I even let her crack the eggs – it’s amazing how fast she she is growing up! 

IMG_0065

Reward: Lexie often initiates her own learning experiences. While transplanting flowers she decided to pour water from one cup to another – practicing her fine motor skills and measuring. This is what it’s all about as a homeschooling mom I love to see Alexa take Treyton’s activities and turn them into her own.

Fun Challenge: She also learned the importance of hand-eye-coordination when she poured water right onto her lap.  

IMG_0009

Challenge: Lexa LOVES to exactly what Treyton is doing, which is fine unless it’s a workbook and I don’t have an extra copy – trust me when I say, it can get ugly.

IMG_0088_edited-1

Reward: I love watching Treyton and Lexie together, they entertain themselves in the most fun ways. They have an awesome relationships.

IMG_0089

Reward: Her independent nature can sometimes be a challenge, but it’s also a reward in that she doesn’t give up easily. She is so determined and works hard as a result. (A typical second born jewel). :)

IMG_0005

Challenge: she learns loudly :) so if Treyton is doing school is can be a challenge to keep her entertained and learning without distracting Treyton too much.

IMG_0029

Reward: she is a self-motivated learner. Usually looking to learn, she’s up for a challenge and learns a lot along the way. When she plays with our wood blocks instead of taking the lid off and putting the blocks back in when she is done, she will usually do them one at a time in the appropriate shape slots.

IMG_0040

Challenge: At the beginning of school I got Alexa all of her own school supplies and a matching box to keep them in, but she tends to try to get Treyton’s in spite of the fact that they are exactly the same – this can cause some pretty big fights.

IMG_0044

Reward: being my first daughter, I was a little surprised by the fact that she wasn’t more “girly” – not necessarily a disappointment, but I wondered if I was doing something wrong. However, this week for the very first time she asked to play with her doll house – it was so cute – she would talk to the little people, bring them to the potty, sit them in the chair, etc. It’s a joy and blessing to watch.

5 comments:

Ticia said...

I totally forgot to say this earlier, and I don't know how long ago you changed the look, but I love the new look of your blog!

Virginia Lee said...

This so describes Caroline. Makes me grow in the patience department at the same time I am smiling and calling daddy to tell him what Caroline did.

I had so much one on one time with Caleb. I do wish for more of it with Caroline. She is such a fast learner, but wants to do things her way. =)

It's good to see other girlos with similar personalities.

Lindsay said...

Your pictures are beautiful!

I am just catching up on the last couple weeks of blog walking.....

I am a fellow crew member and also a new follower of your blog!

All American x5 said...

Sounds and looks like so much fun.

Thanks for stopping by and looking forward to reading more from you.

Jill said...

I am a wee bit behind on the blog walk, so I just stopped by today and also started following your blog. Reading about your daughter made me smile. She sounds a lot like my son. I adore him, but sometimes he makes school time with my daughter very, very tricky! I am relatively new to homeschooling (just started last semester), and I am hoping to figure out some ways to handle interruptions from the younger sibling. I enjoyed your blog! :)