Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bee Unit: A Great Start

The kids were out of town the last several days, so I was planning on skipping school this week. But surprise, surprise, school found us!!

We walked out to our vegetable garden this morning so Treyton could see how much the plants grew while he was away. On our way back to the house Treyton and I were admiring how tall my daisies had grown. When we walked over to get a closer look Treyton said

“Look Mom!! A bee getting pollen!”

Sure enough, there was, when I came closer I saw there wasn’t just one bee, there were LOTS of bees (I would say 40 or more!!) all over the daisies.

IMG_0016 We sat and watched for several minutes – I had Treyton pick a bee and we watched that one bee go to 5 different flowers.

IMG_0022 We also observed the bees sucking up the nectar (with their proboscis) and could even see pockets of pollen on their legs.

IMG_0031 Even after I walked off I caught Treyton a little while later, pulling up a chair to sit and watch a little longer. He sat there probably 15 minutes or more.

IMG_0034 It was better than best video or book I could have found.

IMG_0026 Earlier this morning, Alexa had pulled all of our Bee library books out and asked to read them, so when we came inside the three of us curled up on the couch and read 4 or 5 bee books.

After that, Treyton said he knew where he could find some honey :) he ran to the pantry and got out our honey – each of the kids tried some.

IMG_0041 IMG_0043 Now, as I’m typing this, the kids are watching “Buzby and the Grumble Bees” movie.

What a great school day!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

That is awesome! One of the best ways to really see that all of our "mom work" pays off - even with little ones. Your site is very encouraging.

Monica said...

Hi Amber - Sounds like you and the kids had a great time learning and viewing the bees. We've been studying bugs too!
Monica