Monday, August 2, 2010

Curriculum 2010-2011

Not Back to School Blog Hop

Today I am joining in with  Heart of the Matter for their Not Back to School Blog Hop!

The Week's Topic is Curriculum.

Back in May I did a curriculum post, but since then, some things have changed. So here is our updated curriculum list for this year. (This is for Kindergarten for my not quite 5-year old son, or at least what we will be using the first half of the year.)

Four our Core Curriculum covering Science and Phonics we will be using My Father’s World Kindergarten A to Z. It follows a letter of the week type approach with a science theme for each letter (ex: S is for Sun, M is for Moon, B is for Butterfly).

Language Arts (Phonics and Spelling):
Though our primary phonics is in MFW I am using the following as supplements
* An Assortment of Beginning Readers
* Explode the Code - Books 1 & 2
* Happy Phonics
* Progressive Phonics - Book 1
* Other Hands On Tools (most of which I make)

Preschool Curriculum: Before Five in a Row This curriculum is more of a way to incorporate my 2 Year Old into our studies I am in the process of coorelating our B4FIAR books with the topics we will be covering in My Father’s World, it doesn’t look like this will be too much of a problem (ex: for Moon we will be rowing “Goodnight Moon”, for Kangaroo’s we will be rowing “Katy No Pocket”). Doing B4FIAR together has taught Treyton some valuable “teaching” lessons and Lexa loves to be included in such a big way in school. We will sometimes make a lapbook to go along with the book we are rowing, which we find at homeschool share.

Bible: Grapevine Studies – I read the Bible story every day we then will illustrate different parts of the story. Right now we are illustrating our way through the Old Testament. Our Bible primarily consist of conversation and dialogue and Grapevine is our way of imprinting the story on to Treyton’s memory. It really helps him “picture” the story and leads him to asks needed questions for his full understanding. Occasionally, I like to add to certain stories some type of hands-on activity but this doesn’t always happen.

MathHorizon’s Math: K. We are still loving this math program, I use it a lot as a guide, teaching most new concepts with hands on manipulatives or various illustrations or printables if I can find them.

HandwritingPeterson Directed Handwriting. Originally I had started out with A Reason for Handwriting, but realized that although it was giving Treyton handwriting/copywork practice it wasn’t providing him with handwriting instruction, which he still really needs. So we are backing up and I am using a handwriting program that I received through TOS to review, that is working well so far. (This is not to say that I won’t using A Reason for Handwriting, I did like it)

Art – Usborne’s I can Draw Animals is a drawing book that we are making our way through, we pick an animal in the book and learn how to draw it. We also use the Draw-Write-Now book.

US Geography – Each week (or ever other) I introduce a new state to Treyton which we locate on the map. We make a state page – consisting of a postcard which we received (if available), sticker representing that state, a map with the state colored in and any other things we like – we keep a “State Binder” where we keep all of our state pages for review. I keep this very simple, not going in depth into the state at all, basic simple information only for recognition purposes. At this time, my primary goal is for Treyton to locate the state on a US map when given the name. See my posts here and here for more detail on our State Pages

Health, Nature and Physical Education – are all done at different intensity’s throughout the year and though they aren’t a core part of our “regular” curriculum, they certainly are still a large part of our daily life and “school” in a sense.

With our curriculum all written out here it seems like a lot, but we don’t do all of our subjects every day and usually not even every week. 

10 comments:

Julie said...

Hi, I am here from the blog hop, great post! Looks like you have a good plan (mine is a revision too lol.) I did MFWK last year with my 4/5yo and it was tons of fun. Be sure and check out their message board there are so many ideas for books and little projects every week. Enjoyed my visit and good luck with your year.

Layton Family Joy said...

oh thank you so much for posting you still like Horizons! We're trying it for the 1st year (2nd grade) and very hopefully it'll be a good fit!

thanks! best of luck this year!
Stef
http://laytonfamilyjoy.com

Grace Wheeler said...

We're using MFW too! Today was our first day and my kiddos really enjoyed it! Excited to hear more about your school year in the future!!

Elinette said...

Looks like a fun year ahead for you all. My boys loved the "I can" usborne series.

Angela said...

Your year looks great! We are MFW users too, we LOVED K, it was so much fun!

angela

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Looks like you've got a great year planned! I'm glad to hear that you're liking Horizon's Math~we are using it for the first time this year.

Kysha said...

Aw! Your children are so stinkin' cute! LOL! MFW is great. We used it for two years. You will have an awesome time!

Jennifer said...

It looks like you have an exciting year ahead. We are using MFW (for the first time) this year, too.

Kelsey said...

MFW is the curriculum we have been most drawn towards. As is BFIAR. Did you do MFW preschool at all? I am trying to decide how to approach next fall when my daughter turns 4.
Can I say it again, I am so glad to have found your blog!!:-)

Amber said...

Kelsey, I didn't technically do MFW Preschool, however, a lot of what they recommend I had done with my son. I'm not sure what I will do yet for my daughter. From what I remember MFW Preschool is pretty laid back, I added in a lot of crafts, but their games and hands on items look good.
B4FIARs approach is AWESOME! Especially when you add to it the resources from Homeschool Share. I don't even know if you even need the B4FIAR book, you could easily get everything you need from Homeschool Share.
It's such a fun time to home school!! If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
Happy Hunting ;)