Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Moon Cake

I had several questions about the kids and I moon cake. So here is a separate post just for you guys.

If you need a refresher ;) here is the recipe:

Moon Cake Recipe

Moon Sand:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 T. cocoa

Form 3 craters in the moon sand, one large crater in the center and one medium crater and one small crater anywhere on the moon sand.

Add 1 tsp. baking soda to the medium crater.
Add 5 T melted butter to the large crater.
Add 1 tsp. vanilla to the small crater.
Pour 1 T. vinegar into the medium crater and watch it bubble like a volcano.

When foam stops, add 1 c. milk and mix together to form moon mud.
Sprinkle with 3/4 c. miniature marshmallows (moon rocks).

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.

Questions Asked:

What I made the cake in: I originally mixed the moon sand and put our craters and such in a 13 x 9, glass cake pan but it was too large to bake it in, so I downsized to a smaller glass pan (I’m not sure of the exact measurements… bigger than a 9 x 9 square pan, smaller than a 13 x 9)

How we made the craters: with our hands, we just dug them out.

How did it taste? It was… okay… not the best cake I’ve ever made or tasted, but it was good. Our cake is slightly different because of allergies, we used coconut milk instead of dairy milk and we also used a special kind of butter (not made with dairy butter). Our cake was pretty crumbly, I don’t know if it was due to the non-dairy supplements or something else, and it wasn’t horrible, just a little crumbly. Because I had the kids do so much of the cake on their own there were a few “salty spots” due to not being mixed thoroughly, but the flavor wasn’t bad.

Can I show pictures of the kids making it? um YEAH!! Thanks for asking!

IMG_0044 IMG_0045 IMG_0048 IMG_0049 (The kids watching the volcano) IMG_0053

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Stopped by to grab your moon cake recipe! We make it every year, but I have yet to print the directions to save! Thanks again! We love it! Such a fun cake!