Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sun Unit: Books

Sun by Lynn Stone

image

My favorite of the more technical books that we checked-out, written simply with great pictures, Treyton and I both got a lot out of it. I highly recommend it for the early elementary age group.

MoonBear’s Shadow by Frank Asch

image

An absolutely adorable book about shadows. A great book.

The Sun our Nearest Star by Franklyn M. Branley

image

Skipping the “millions/billions” of years ago, an illustrated book about the sun. Something cool I learned in this book was that it only takes 8 minutes for light to travel to earth from the sun, the next closest star takes 4 years for it’s light to reach earth…. WHAT?!?! What an amazing God we serve!

Sunshine Makes the Seasons by Franklin M. Branley image

A great book for the elementary age student. It also includes instructions for an experiment with an orange and flashlight. One of the only books we had that were illustrated rather than “real” pictures.

What Makes Day and Night by Franklyn M. Branley

image

One of my favorite books for our unit. Simply but thoroughly written for the elementary age.

Destination The Sun by Giles Sparrow

image

This book has great illustrations. Though it was too detailed to read all at once and expect for my kids to sit through it, we were able to read parts of it that were applicable to us in small doses and it was great.

The Sun Is My Favorite Star by Frank Asch

image 

A cute story about the sun.

The Sun by Fran Howard

image

Another of the more simple science books, though once again I had to skip over the “billions of years ago” part. But other than that….

Earth, Moon & Sun by Peter Riley

image

A good science textbook type book, though it advocates the big bang theory, I had to skip several sections based on this. It explains things simply in bold, and has more in depth explanations underneath (which I like for me :))

Why Does the Sun Set? by Terry Allan Hicks

image

A little too detailed for my kids, we didn’t get through much of it because of the level, but I think it’s still a good book.

Experiments with Light by Salvatore Tocci

image

Though  I could live without the first part of the book, this book is filled with fun light experiments you can do with your kids.

No comments: