Wednesday, March 23, 2011

{Review} Beginning Geography

For the last month or so Treyton and I have been privileged to try out Beginning Geography, an Evan Moor product from Timberdoodle.

image This book was like a breath of fresh air for us. I had been a little stagnant in our geography studies after deciding to hold off on learning any more states and I had been wondering what to do for Geography. This book was exactly what we needed to get us through the rest of this school year. 

I had picked up a couple geography workbooks in the past but were disappointed by how limited many of them were. I didn’t think I would ever really like doing geography with a workbook, this book has changed my mind. 

IMG_0513One of the first things that I noticed about this workbook were the two fold out maps included in the back. They were very colorful and attractive, easy to store or hang on the wall. I’ve stuck them into the front of my lesson plan binder for easy access and we use them several times a week.

This is actually a 3-in-1 workbook divided into Map Skills, Landforms & Bodies of Water, and Continents & Oceans. I loved the flexibility it offered. I didn’t feel limited to teaching just one aspect of geography.

We’ve spent most of our time in the Map Skills section and I am amazed by all that Treyton has learned in a short month, spending only 5-10 minutes a day 2-3 times a week. He’s learned direction (North, South, East and West), about cross streets and finding things on a map, what a map is (and can be), the difference between a hill and mountain, parts of a hill, and five of the seven continents. IMG_0507

This is a great introductory geography book for kids Kindergarten – 2nd grade. If you would like to see more, they offer a flip-through of the first 24 pages here. It’s definitely worth checking out!

It’s reasonably priced at $10.95 and is available for purchase on the Timberdoodle site.  If you are interested in other geography products, check out their selection here.

As a side note, I have just have to say Timberdoodle is awesome!! So many of the curriculum choices I have looked at for our family are the same ones they’ve included in their curriculum kits. This is my first product review for them and I can’t wait for another one!!

To see what all Timberdoodle has, sign up for a free catalogue or visit them online at (www.timberdoodle.com)

Disclosure:  I received a complimentary copy of this book as a member of Timberdoodle's Blogger Review Team the opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Mama Teaching 3 said...

He looks super cute doing his geography as well. :) Enjoy it!