Tuesday, March 15, 2011

TOS Crew: (Apologia) Who Is God?

image I was so excited when I received my beautiful hardback “Who is God?” book from Apologia, but, I’ll be honest, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I knew I was going to be harder on this review than some of my other reviews in the past, because I feel like Bible is one of the most important things we teach our children. My standards were high, as well as my expectations (knowing this was an Apologia product). I’m happy to say, I was not disappointed.

As we started to implement this book into our home school and family I was relieved by how easy it was to use and how refreshing I found the content to be. 

Product Description:

I really appreciated the introduction to the book on “How to Use This Book”, obviously each family has to make this book their own and use it according to their own schedule but how they break it down and the ideas that they give were helpful, and helped our family make the most out of the book.

The book is divided into 10 Lessons, meant to be spread out over 2 weeks – 3 days per week. Each lesson contains the same basic components:

  • The Big Idea: which contains the main topic of the lesson
  • What You Will Do: states learning objectives of the lesson
  • Short Story: not all lessons contain a short story, but several did (this was Treyton’s favorite part).
  • Think About It: thought-provoking questions to spark deep discussion.
  • Words You Need to Know: Vocabulary Words
  • Hide It in Your Heart: Bible Memory Verses
  • Integrated Learning: articles to help broaden the lesson’s concepts through different fields (art, math, science, history and more).
  • What Should I Do?: Highlights a specific godly character to be emphasized and taken from the lesson.
  • Prayer:
  • Worldview Study: an introduction to some worldview concepts to help the children understand and communicate well with the world around them.
  • House of Truth: A hands-on memory aid, a visual model constructed one step at a time as you go throughout the study.

Our Favorite Parts:

I loved how this book was able to take complex concepts and views and simplify them for us in order to explain them well. This book really does tackle some tough subjects (like “If God Created the World, Why Isn’t it Perfect?”) and does it in a way that your whole family can benefit from. I’ll be honest, this book was as good for me as it was for Treyton – reminding me several times (once again) why we do what we do. There are few things more important than instilling a Biblical Worldview in our children.

One of the most memorable moments for me was actually in one of the beginning lessons; we were talking about the importance of knowing the truth and how knowing the truth shapes the way we see the world – if you don’t see the world with “true eyes” it’s like wearing colored glasses – you’re not able to view the world as it really is. The beauty (and importance) of knowing truth is that it allows us to see clearly. IMG_0151

I had Treyton put on a pair of sunglasses to drive the point home. We talked about the way he saw certain colors with his sunglasses on and with them off. He’s brought this up several times as we went through the book on why it was important to know the truth and to stand on the truth. 

Product Review:

We have thoroughly enjoyed this book. It’s been a refreshing addition to our family worship and Bible curriculum. Treyton (age 5 1/2) has learned so much and really related to the stories that we read.

The entire approach (including the notebooking activities and hands-on elements) flowed well with how we like to do school. While the cover shouts “text book” the style is much more real-life, classical education style.

This book is recommended for ages 6-14 and while I think younger children could follow along and still glean a lot from it’s content, I find the age recommendation fairly accurate.

If you’re looking for a Bible curriculum that teaches a Biblical worldview you should definitely take a look at this series.

To Purchase:

This book is the first of the four-part ‘What We Believe’ series the first two of the four part series ‘Who is God?’ and ‘Who am I?’ have been published with the last two due to come out in 2011 and 2012.

Visit Apologia’s website to view a lesson sample and the table of contents and to purchase.

To See What Others are Saying:

Visit the TOS Crew to find out what the other TOS Crew Members have to say about this book!

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book for being a part of the TOS Crew, for the purpose of this review. The opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

cahanbury said...

This sounds great. Thanks for the review. I am going to get this for our homeschool.