Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fighting to Succeed: Part 3 – An Example

Today I videotaped Treyton as he narrated the past several weeks worth of Bible stories (Abraham – Joseph) before we went on to the next story. After we watched it back it occurred to me, that this would be a great visual to show what school looks like for us on a daily basis, in relationship to APD (Auditory Processing Disorder).

As you can imagine some days are worse than others. On this particular day Treyton has NO name recollection of any of the Bible characters (other than Joseph). It isn’t always this way.

But more than anything else, I hope that this clip shows how determined Treyton is, how much he wants to succeed and how much he is able to recall. I wish that all of you could have seen him a year ago and the progress that he has made just in the past year. I know I’ve said it so many times before, but I really am proud of him.

THINGS I WANTED TO POINT OUT

I want to point out a few things from this clip – not in an effort to highlight any negatives, but more as a real-life example of some of the things I was referring to in my last post.

~ First, if you’ll notice, I do step in and help him often. This is to prevent frustration or incorrect information in his recollection. I’m not always this involved with initial narration (when he’s retelling a story for the first time), however because this is a review narration (meaning there is ALOT more information to be recalled) before we go on to the next story, I step in a little bit more than normal.

~ It’s fairly obvious that Treyton struggles remembering names. However, his inability to recall certain words effects not only names. At one point you will hear him use the word “middle” when he means “little”. This is fairly common in his every day talking. The two words sound a lot alike and both refer to sizes, so he easily transposes them.  I want to point out as well, that his name recollection isn’t always this bad, but this is a VERY large narration with ALOT of characters, and when he is busy recalling one thing (like details of a story) another area usually worsens (like people’s names).

~ He also says “telled” instead of “told” I didn’t correct him in this clip, but you can tell he knows he’s saying it wrong, he even repeats it, before he moves on, but he’s unable to come up with the right word.

~ In the beginning when I am probing him to come up with a name (saying okay “Go back to the beginning”), I do this trying to clue him in, or help him place the name/word. It didn’t work in this case, but it’s an example of ways that I try to help, before giving him an answer without always letting him know I’m helping.

~ I’m not sure what he was saying about being in Abro-ham – but that sort of response and excitement is what I normally get when we are able to direct him to remember something on his own.

~ When he says “I remember him, I just forgot” (referring to Abraham) this means he remembers the person and their story he just forgot his name. This too is common and as you see, even occurs seconds after he is told the persons name sometimes.

~ When we are talking about Joseph and the King’s dream, after I explained to him that it was the King’s dream that God told Joseph what the dream meant and then Joseph told the king – when Treyton says “ookay” – he did not follow along what I had just said.  (check out minutes 5:25 – 5:32 for what Treyton’s face looks like when he’s not getting what you’re saying. :)

~ Notice, how he just carries on after this. Because he understood and knows most of the story, we just kept on going, but imagine if it would be something more crucial – and he wouldn’t have said anything.

If I don’t notice that he didn’t get it, or if I just keep going and it is something more important for understanding future lessons, this can become a VERY frustrating situation very quickly.

Usually Treyton is not able to articulate which part of something he doesn’t understand or when he got confused on. (I don’t know if this is normal at this age or not) Either way, if it is not caught and dealt with early on, it only continues to get worse.

Treyton usually begins to shut down and give up and I may not even realize why. He’ll say something like “I don’t even know what you’re talking about” or “I don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing.” At that point, it’s a lot hard to back up and clarify. Though it is possible (we’ve done it), it’s just a lot harder and usually along the way he feels like he is “stupid” or like he’s not good at something when he is!!

 

Narration is not the easiest assignment for Treyton, but it is a great exercise to help him flex his recalling brain muscles. I accredit narration with a lot of the progress he has made in the last year. I will talk about this more in my next post on some of the training and tools we use to develop Treyton’s language.

 

Disclosure: I am not a trained anything, I’m just a mom, who is trying to help her son. I noticed a struggle and without a medical degree of any sort I started doing research. I found something called Auditory Process Disorder, which after reading several books on and scouring the internet regarding I “self-diagnosed” my son. Knowing that there is no formal treatment for this disorder we are now working through handling, training and overcoming any affects APD has on our son. I record our journey through this process on my blog primarily for our own records and to possibly shed some light for others on struggles that their family and child(ren) may be going through. I WILL NOT always do everything right, our way is not proven or even previously practiced (other than through a book I might have read), you are welcome to use my advice, tips, struggles and successes at your own risk. :) I repeat I am NOT a trained professional, I am only a mom trying to do what is best for my son.

1 comment:

erin said...

Holy cow- I think that's a ton of info for a 6 year - old to narrate! It's obvious that you are deeply invested in your kids : )
I probably don't have a complete grasp on what your situation is, but didn't CM reccomend a few sentences of narration for this age?