Wednesday, May 4, 2011

TOS Review: Yesterday’s Classics

HSCrew468x60Animated When I realized I had been given the chance to review Yesterday’s Classics book collection I jumped up from my chair in excitement!! I was FLOORED, and seriously, who wouldn’t be?

Though our primary curriculum is My Father’s World we also add in as much literature and reading as we possibly can. I am an eclectic style homeschooling mom, with a strong tendency towards the Charlotte Mason and Classical Education methods. Which means we like to read lots of classics and living books. imageYesterday’s Classics re-publishes hard to find classic children’s literature (most published between 1880-1920 – called the golden age of children’s literature), many have previously gone out of print. They have re-printed these books with easier to read font, and tried to even keep the original illustrations (“except for the few cases where the quality of the original was too low to make reproductions of”).

Now, in addition to paper backs, they’ve also put together a large e-book collection with over 225 books!! This valuable collection, normally priced at $149.95, through May 31st is on sale for $99.95. They have both kindle and EPub formats (I was able to review both).

Yesterday’s Classics values these same books purchased individually:

  • in paperback format at $2495.75
  • the kindle/epub versions at $648.80

This is a great deal!! If you are wanting to add classical literature to your studies and personal library, this deal may be for you. This is the BEST deal I have heard of to add over 225 books to your library for under $100!! It works out to being $0.44 per title!! Amazing.

Some of the books included in this amazing collection are:

  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold by James Baldwin
  • Fifty Famous People by James Baldwin
  • The Burgess Animal Book for Children by Thornton Burgess
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children by Thornton Burgess
  • Parables from Nature by Margaret S. Gatty
  • Famous Men of Greece by John H. Haaren
  • Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare by E. Nesbit
  • The Sandman: His Farm Stories by Willliam J. Hopkins (there are also other Sandman books in the collection) 
  • The Blue Fairy Book by Andrew Lang
  • The King of the Golden River by John Ruskin
  • In God's Garden by Amy Steedman
  • The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
  • Poems Every Child Should Know by Mary E. Burt
  • Streams of History: The Middle Ages by Ellwood W. Kemp
  • The Book of Legends by Horace Elisha Scudder (A Book to supplement 50 Famous Stories retold)
  • Four Great Americans by James Baldwin
  • American History Stories, Volume I-IV by Mara L. Pratt
  • AND MORE!!

TECHNICAL ASPECTS:

When handling 225 titles of books, the technical aspect is important. But Yestersay’s Classics have managed to make it fairly painless. Rather than downloading 225 separate files onto your computer or e-reader, they have broken them down into 13 zip files, which made it much easier to work with.

If you don’t have a kindle readerthat’s okay, the EPub format can be read on your home/laptop computer (PC or Mac) and other electronics (I Phone, I Pad). I was easily able to read them on my Barnes and Noble e-reader which was already on my laptop.

OTHER COMMENTS:

There were several benefits of this product for our family:

  1. While I like to have actual physical books in my hand, this was a fabulous way to add a large number of books to our library for a reasonable price, without the added cost of purchasing more shelves on which to hold all of our new books.
  2. Treyton and I both enjoyed the change of pace from going to a physical book to our kindle/computer to read. It brought a little variety to our read-aloud time.
  3. Included in the downloads they also give you a PDF file with the list of books (one divided by level, genre, author and title and another with description and thumbnails), a similar one is found on their offer. As a part of these list they have a recommended age for the books, I found this to be very helpful. While I had heard of many of the titles, I didn’t necessarily know if they would be over Treyton’s head or not, their list gave me a place to start for our family that I really appreciated. I printed this off for future reference.

image

TO PURCHASE FOR YOUR FAMILY:

Visit Yesterday’s Classics where you are able to purchase individual paperbacks, as well as the electronic offer I’ve been talking about.

To see what others from the TOS Crew had to say, please go here

{Disclaimer:  I received this product in Kindle and EPUB format for free for the purpose of my review.  The opinions expressed are my own.}

No comments: