Sunday, May 1, 2011

Week 29

After having 3 weeks off from school I wasn’t sure what to expect, it went better than I could have hoped!!

MATH: NUMBERS 1-20

We did the first 5 exercises of our new unit in one day because it was all review for Treyton, and he was really motivated to get to page 100 in his workbook. On exercise 6 we started working on adding numbers together that equal great than 10.

IMG_0075Treyton loves numbers, he is constantly adding numbers in his head, finding ways to manipulate them and figuring out math tricks. So it’s getting easier to teach him math concepts.

While figuring out what 9+5= he said “14” really quickly and I said “Yes, but how did you figure that out?” and he said “5, 10, 15 – but it’s not 10 plus 5 because it’s 9 so I took away 1”. For the record, my mind does NOT work that way naturally but it is the logical math approach that Singapore is known for. I am even more confident than I was before with our curriculum choice for Treyton as I see it strengthening his natural skills. IMG_0076

We used legos and our chalkboard top desk to learn how to add numbers that equals a number greater than 10. (This was a Singapore idea)

During our daily board we learned to count by 3s, I printed off this chart from Donna Young for Treyton to fill out and found this song/video on youtube that the kids enjoyed.

READING & FINE ARTS

I wasn’t sure what to expect getting back into reading after not stretching his reading muscle for so long, but he did great. He has a little improvement to do but I was happy with how well he started out.

The first day back reading 3 pages in his Bible reader proved to be a little frustrating, so I allowed him to break the story down for two days. I would rather slow down and prevent frustration than to mark something off our list that discourages him.

The second day went even better.

He continues to work on his sight words and I think it goes without saying that the better he seems to do with his sight words the more confident he is in his reading.

The two new sounds we worked on this week were /oo/ spelled ew, and /ow/ spelled ow & ou.

GEOGRAPHY:

Treyton has 5 of the 7 continents down – Asia, Africa, North America, South America and Antartica. This week we focused on Europe.

READ-ALOUDS:

We are currently reading through “Andi’s Pony Trouble” by Susan Marlow, Sammy and His Shepherd by Susan Hunt and A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson

Some other books we read this week were:

  • Oliver & The Spaceship
  • Me & My Place in Space
  • The Giving Tree
  • Europe

ART:

We started our artist study this week. I picked Frans Lanting (a photographer) as our first artist to study. I got this Jungles book from the library and picked one photo for us to look at together this week. Treyton was really in to it.

We talked about how there are different types of art and artist. A photographer is an artist, just like a painter or sculpture.

We also did our See the Light series this week and finished the last of the 4 sessions we were given to review, along with our normal Mark Kistler drawing sessions.

HANDWRITING:

Treyton’s handwriting has improved TREMENDOUSLY since I’ve allowed him to got back to the Kindergarten spacing rather than having him squeeze in to the First Grade lines. IMG_0137He did three different copywork exercises this week without even complaining. It felt (and looked) great!  

IMG_0078 HEALTH:

We talked about 9-1-1 this week and I posted a list of Emergency Numbers for Treyton next to our daily board. Treyton, after I explained to him what they were for asked me “Can we not talk about this, it really makes me sad.”

I told him “Of course, but I want you to know, I’m not giving you these numbers because I think something is going to happen, I’m giving you these numbers so that IF something happens you know what to do. You don’t need to be scared, we know that God is always in control right? So no matter what happens, He will get you through it. You don’t need to be afraid.”

We cuddled for a while after that until he was ready to keep going. He’s such a sweet boy, I hope he is able to keep that without allowing it to control him. 

We had a really fun week this week with our MFW studies and regular subjects, and we were still able to keep relatively short days. Treyton didn’t get frustrated or over worked, which he was before we took our break. A successful first week back to school!!

3 comments:

The Popes said...

I'm sure you have this posted somewhere, but I would LOVE to hear about MFW and what you are having to supplement.

I'm ordering MFW for my daughers K5 this upcoming year and want to be prepared for what additional subjects I'll need.

I love the copy work. Do you make up what he copies or is that in the curriculum..

Sorry for so many questions! I just LOVE your teaching style and know that you're an awesome resource!

Milk and Honey Mommy said...

Amber,

Congratulations on getting back to school. I know when you take off some time, it is always hard to get back into the swing of things. It looks like your son managed well.

I love his math thinking mind and his handwriting is beautiful (Would he mind that description?). I saw an Awanas books in there(?). We just had our ceremony this past weekend. My youngest will be going into Sparks w/his big sister in the fall.

Our Country Road said...

You have a smart little guy! I'm going to have to check out your math board, it looks very interesting. Hope you are getting back into the swing of things after your break.