Friday, May 20, 2011

Week 32: Joseph to Moses & Seeds

We studied Joseph to Moses this week.

IMG_0068

One of our favorite projects that we worked on was making Joseph’s Family Tree: as we were making Joseph’s family tree I decided to go along and make Treyton’s Family Tree as well. I felt like doing a tree for Treyton would help him understand Joseph’s family tree a little bit better. It did. I went ahead and drew an actual tree and cut out different colored leaves for each generation. I then wrote the names on the leaves. IMG_0066

I had Treyton color his family tree, while I colored Joseph’s, then      Treyton placed the names/leaves on the tree by himself. IMG_0065This was a really fun craft that Treyton got a lot out of and was extremely proud of. IMG_0067

We also learned about Moses this week. I printed off the Moses in the Reeds craft from DLTK and allowed Treyton to use the paper craft in his Bible Notebook. He ended up covering the entire baby Moses with reeds so that you couldn’t even see it…. I think he got the idea of the story ;) IMG_0174

On our timeline we placed our Egypt (inluding white strips of paper to illustrate how long the Israelites were in Egypt) and Moses timeline pieces. IMG_0070

I found this burning bush Craft on Danielle’s Place – I printed off the burning bush picture from somewhere else (sorry I can’t remember) and had the two kids paint the bust like it was on fire without actually burning. IMG_0009

Alexa painted inside the lines very well.

IMG_0054

Treyton did a great job at copying the example we looked at online with the “splashes of paint”.

IMG_0053

Treyton also illustrated his Bible NotebookIMG_0006 I love this one :)

IMG_0007

SCIENCE – SEEDS

We started learning about plants this week. We were supposed to start the water book, but decided to do plants instead because of the time of year, and the fact that we started putting in our square foot garden a couple of weeks ago.  IMG_0144

The kids helped me plant all of the seeds either in little dixie cups before hand or in the actual garden, and we’ve been expectantly waiting for them to sprout.

IMG_0035

We actually started our school year learning about plants and seeds so a lot of what we were doing this week was review for Treyton. I went ahead and pulled out several different types of our seeds, along with a few samples we got for free back in June (2010).

IMG_0062

We really enjoyed watching the bean seeds sprout last time so we decided to do it again.

We also soaked a few beans in water overnight to soften, so that we could cut them in half and see what was inside.

IMG_0148

We then drew our seeds in our nature journal. 

A few days later, on his own, Treyton drew me a picture of some flowers and gave it to me as a gift. I love the detail of it. He drew the seeds, roots, stems and dirt.

IMG_0052

READ-ALOUDS THIS WEEK

James Herriot’s Treasury for Children

Ask Mr. Bear by Marjorie Flack

Andi’s Pony Trouble by Susan Marlow

Cat in the Hat Do Not Open this Crate

That’s When I Talk to God by Dan and Ali  Morrow

Birds by Kevin Henkes (cute book by the way)

FIELD TRIP – ZOO

Lexie was learning about animals this week so we took a field trip to the zoo, this was our first zoo visit this year and we had a great time.

IMG_0090

The kids especially loved feeding the sheeps and goats!!  IMG_0074 LITTLE LEAGUE

Spring Little League started back in April but Treyton just had his first game this past Wednesday (the actual first game was canceled because of the weather). IMG_0152He really loves baseball and is a great player. He is still learning a lot of the game rules and fundamentals which is fun to watch. He is a great hitter, and is one of the more ambitious ball getters/throwers on the team.  IMG_0165 Since the weather has gotten nice, the kids have been outside nearly every day it was raining. It’s not uncommon for them to be outside for 2 + hours at a time, coming in only for water and bathroom breaks.

They like to pick dandelions, climb our fort in the back and play pretend games (like “The pirates who don’t do anything). Lexie is usually a princess and Treyton is usually a superhero/pirate.

I love watching them explore and it is during this time that I think Treyton actually learns the most. Or at least when I see his mind actually working for itself.

It is during these playing times that Treyton uses his very creative imagination to build and experiment. For example, he’s recently built an alter, took pictures with his digital camera like Frans Lanting (a famous photographer), drew a picture of some birds, collected bird feathers, went bird “hunting”, made a birds nest from sticks and mud and planted dandelion seeds in my flower garden – all on his own ;)      IMG_0030I’m blessed to have some amazing kids, and I love how creative and imaginative their instincts are. IMG_0038LINKS

Homeschool Highlights @ A Heart Like Water

Preschool Corner @ Homeschool Creations

Elementary Round-Up @ Granola Mom 4 God

Weekly Wrap-Up @ Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers

2 comments:

sarahssweeties said...

Your garden looks great! Looks like you had a great week. Way to go!

Tina Hollenbeck said...

I really like your family tree idea - what a neat way to do that! My girls are a bit older - 9 and 10 - but we will study Creation to the Greeks starting in August, and I think I'm going to try your family tree idea with that - and have them do theirs, too. :^)