Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Week 33 & 34: Moses and Plants

This past week we finished our last complete week of school for the 2010-2011 school year. We had planned on doing another full week, but such is life. We’ve fulfilled our hours and done more than necessary and both Treyton and I were ready to start summer break.

BIBLE: MOSES & PASSOVER

We studied about Moses this week and the 10 plagues. I found a few printables and extras to go along with our studies.

One of my favorites was Henny Penny’s 10 Plagues PDF

I let Treyton use a coloring page of Aaron, Moses and Pharoah instead of drawing them himself in his Bible Notebook. I wanted to have Treyton see what the people in Egypt dressed like back then. In addition to the coloring pages I printed off some Ancient Egypt Printable Paper Dolls for us to look at.

IMG_0068

Also because I didn’t want Treyton to get overwhelmed with Trying to draw the 10 plagues I let him use one of the 10 plague booklets that I found (I can’t remember which one I found these from but the link should be below). He colored them and we covered them like little matchbooks. He LOVED this, flipping the numbers up and trying to remember which plagues were which.

IMG_0069

 

BIBLE NOTEBOOK PAGES

In addition to studying about the plagues we also read about:

The Red Sea

IMG_0070 and Manna in the Desert IMG_0071

SCIENCE: PLANTS

Treyton asked to do an experiment out of our plant book this week. We covered one leaf of one of our house plants with aluminum foil and waited to see what would happen. After a week, we took the foil off and the leaf was yellow. Treyton remembered from studying plants the first time that plants need water, sun and air to grow. When you take sun away, the leaf cannot grow properly.

Treyton also asked to do some leaf rubs this week, something that we’ve done in the past, but that Treyton really enjoyed. My grandmother actually recently gave me a collection of leaves and dried flowers that she had collected, pressed and dried over the years (from 3 different states). I pulled them out and Treyton and I went through them, looking at all the different kinds of leaves comparing what we the same and what was different with our favorite ones.IMG_0190

We finished our compost bucket this week. After collecting our non-dairy and non-meat food scraps for a while, we added a little dirt, grass and leaves on the top and wet it down a little bit. You’re supposed to add quite a few worms, I think we found 5 :) As we continue to work in the yard we plan to add more. Treyton is really excited and hopeful that our compost will turn to soil.

SPELLING

We completed step 4 in All About Spelling, we are cruising through them, as this is all review for Treyton – this week we talked about alphabetizing, the difference between vowels and consonants and the fact that every word has at least one vowel. We are both really enjoying AAS and I think it will be a great addition to our schooling.

IMG_0176MATH

We finished up our number 1 – 20 studies and went on to review. Treyton flew through these, and by next week he will be on to the next unit for sure. I think math is the only subject I might carry out during our break in an attempt to finish up book 1A (Singapore Math). The few units we have left are easy units for him (shapes & length and measurements) I think it will take him a day or two for each unit.

READING

I am overly pleased with Treyton’s progress in reading. This week he read the Bible Stories we worked on in his Bible Reader, on the days that he didn’t read his Bible Reader he asked to read The Cat in the Hat (he would read about 4-5 pages per sitting).

He is excited to be reading “real” books, and he loves to sit down with Lexie and read to her. I love it!! 

EXTRA LEARNING

Treyton is constantly taking things that he learns in books, school or his favorite PBS shows (Cat in the Hat and Wild Kratts) and tries to recreate them in his play. This week he built a birds nest (out of sticks, mud and grass) and put it safely in the corner of our house, he has checked every day to see if I bird is living there…. Oh how I wish a bird actually would ;) LOL!

IMG_0194 

We are in the process of reading the story of Sebastian Bach – the book tells of a time when Bach was young that he snuck out of his bedroom at night to copy the pages of a music book that his older brother would not allow him to play with. After he completed the book he began to play from his own copy of the book, until his brother caught him and took that book away as well.

During quiet time one day Treyton asked me for some writing paper – when I asked him why, he told me that he was going to copy a book, like Bach. He had picked out his favorite book (and I Can Read it Spiderman book) and now he needed some paper. I got him a new copywork book and in the last 3 weeks he’s copied 4 pages of the book. :)

 

THE END OF KINDERGARTEN

While it’s a little sad to be forever finished with Treyton’s Kindergarten year, it’s exciting to see how much Treyton’s learned and how much we’ve both grown over the year. As we learn more about ourselves and each other school seems to flow better and get more fun.

I’m looking forward to next year – I am very pleased with my curriculum selections (from what I have read so far) and I can’t wait to see what next year holds.

 

OTHER PLAGUE RESOURCES

Heart of Wisdom Ten Plagues Song

Heart of Wisdom Ten Plagues Booklet 

Heart of Wisdom Exodus Lesson Plans

Homeschool Share Ancient Egypt Lapbook

Knowledge Box Central 107 Page PDF on Ancient Egypt

1 comment:

Ticia said...

I love the drawings he did! Thanks for the link to the paper dolls.