We started school on June 20th. We are all still getting used to having a routine again, but it feels great to be back!!
This is what we did for week 1:
Bible: We read about the Ten Commandments, the Tabernacle, Twelve Spies and Rahab. We are trying to get through MFW 1st grade before the fall so we have been moving right along.
Treyton has taken on a new interest in his illustrations and works hard to add as much detail as he can. Drawing people is still the hardest part (I’m pretty sure that’s genetic and he gets that from me!), but I am proud of both his narrations and illustrations and am surprised at the improvements in just a month.
Science: We have started the Science with Water Usborne Book and Treyton is loving the “experiments”. This week we learned how water takes all difference sizes and shapes, and how different cups hold different amounts of water.
We had lots of fun taking out all different types of glasses and pouring 2 cups of water into each of them. We started out by guessing which glass we thought would hold the most, Treyton, Lexie and I each had a different guess.
Come to find out we were all right!! All of our glasses hold exactly 2 cups of water, except 1 and it holds 1 1/2 cups of water.
Reading: Coming back to school has gone really smoothly in every subject, but if there were a bump it would have been with his reading. He was hesitant and less-confident with his reading and it caused some poorer skills than what we had left off with. Truth be told, we weren’t able to practice reading as much as we should have on our break, so I think we will work through this slight bump in the road by merely practicing.
Math: We started Singapore 1B, it’s going well, pretty easily actually. Which is refreshing after struggling through so many weeks on addition and subtraction, to finally get back to some “easier” topics for Treyton. It helps build his confidence in his mathematical ability, which is great. I want him to know how good he really is at math.
Read Alouds: Read Alouds are definitely Treyton’s favorite part of school. This week we read:
- “Sebastian Bach, The Boy from Thuringia” Opal Wheeler
- “Sky Boys” by Deborah Hopkinson
- “The Adventures of Tom Cat” by Beatrix Potter
- “Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvery” by Maria Kalman
- “The Umbrella” by Jan Brett
- “Muncha, Muncha, Muncha” by Candace Fleming
- “Baby Lemur” by Susan Hellard
- “Jemima the Puddle Duck” by Beatrix Potter
- “Red, White, Blue and Uncle Who? The Stories Behind Some of America’s Patriotic Symbols” by John O’Brien
- Composer Study: Sebastian Johan Bach
- Artist Study: Jackson Pollock
- Memory Work: John 17:17, 1 Peter _:_ and the first 5 NT Books
- All About Spelling: Steps 5-8
I’m really satisfied with how our first week of school went, and I’m really looking forward to our first grade year. Treyton really is a natural learner with an inquisitive mind. I can’t wait to see what this year will bring.