Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fourth of July Activities

We are currently reading “Red, White, Blue and Uncle Who? The Stories Behind Some of America’s Patriotic Symbols” by John O’Brien to get ready for the 4th of July – we actually started this book back in May, but then stopped so that we could incorporate it into a Fourth of July study.

This book tells the stories of our countries many patriotic symbols, many stories, which I was a little ashamed to admit I didn’t know.

My personal favorite to read about was the story of our National Anthem – I’ll be honest, I teared up a little bit while reading it, and I almost lost it all together when we listened to the song together as a family. Our anthem was written by a man named Francis Scott Key – a 35 year old lawyer who was trapped behind enemy “lines” (actually on a ship) as the British were attacking Fort McHenry. The words of the song capture what he experienced throughout the night as the battle raged on around him.

We also learned about the Liberty Bell. I then found a craft found here that the kids put together. IMG_0043

Treyton doesn’t get why they don’t just fix the crack and use the bell all the time :) IMG_0045

Check out some of the other Fourth of July crafts and printables on my PinterestFourth of July Bulletin.

No comments: