Thursday, July 7, 2011

Nature Study: Grasshoppers

IMG_0023This week, the kids and I headed out to explore a little nature. Treyton was desperate to catch a grasshopper. IMG_0017

We headed out to the backyard with nothing but our anticipation, camera and nets. Thankfully, the Lord was on our side, and we ended up catching ourselves a common gray grasshopper. IMG_0018

After we put him in the bug house, we headed back to the patio to examine him a little more closely. After about 10 minutes of examining his grasshopper, Treyton came up with the following observations:

  • Grasshoppers can jump
  • They camouflage
  • His feet have “grabbers” like hooks so that he can climb up stuff
  • He has a tiny head (and I quote “Like if you were going to play catch with it you would have to be as small as any eyeball. If you were really big, you wouldn’t be able to see it. I’m serious, you’d have to be really small to play catch with his head.”)
  • The grasshopper has 2 antennas and 6 legs
  • He is mostly gray, with some black spots on his big legs

He also had the following question:

What would happen if a grasshopper and a mantis found one another?

He thought that they would fight one another and that the praying mantis would win. I was able to find this nat geo video that confirmed his thoughts.

He drew a picture of the grasshopper in his nature journal along with his observations (which I recorded for him).

While we were out catching bugs, we also found some interesting plants.  IMG_0025I pointed this milkweed plant because I liked how it showed 4 different stages of the flower. 

IMG_0019

I’m always amazed by how much the kids and I learn just by being out in nature. I hope to get better at getting out there more.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Yes, those are the best type of learning moments! Nature has so much to teach us, if we just let it.

~Lori

Jen said...

Following from the TOS Review Crew! I love nature study - it's free, and is easily spontaneous!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

Very cute. :)