Friday, September 16, 2011

TOS Review: AIMS Education Foundation

HSCrew468x60AnimatedAims Education Foundation makes several hands-on math and science curriculums. I was given a copy of “Getting Into Geometry” to review.

imageProduct Description:

Designed with Kindergartners and First Graders in mind this activity book, complete with 48 activities, focuses on introducing Geometric concepts in a fun, hands-on way. Starting with 2-D shapes, this book teaches thoroughly through a variety of topics to promote mastery of the subject – including symmetry, puzzles and other fun activities. The student then moves on to 3-D solids, Spatial Relationships and then to Playful Practice.

Product Review:

I’ll be honest, even thinking the word geometry and my two kids (6 and 3) I was like “Oh Boy! This is going to be an adventure” but using the hands-on approach to teaching geometric concepts using AIMS’ Getting into Geometry, wasn’t challenging at all, in fact, I would venture to say that it was fun!

We worked on several of the concepts in the book, but the one we had the most fun with was Symmetry.

Shape Symmetry:

Key Question: What makes a shape symmetric?

The kids and I discussed that when a shape can be divided in two parts and be exactly the same (like a mirror), that is called symmetry, and the line that divides the two parts is called a symmetry line. Of course, this didn’t make much sense, so we moved right into the activity.

Beforehand, I printed off a few of the books reproducible pages, and cut out the shapes and objects for the lessons. We then started folding some of the shapes to see for ourselves if they were symmetric or not.

After going through our shapes, we folded (or cut) some of our shapes, many different ways and found out that some shapes can have many different lines of symmetry.

IMG_0108

Next, I had the kids cut out shapes of their own… any shapes they wanted, even if they wanted to “make up” a shape.

IMG_0109

I then took a piece of paper, drew a line down the middle to create two columns, one side for symmetric shapes, the other side for non-symmetric shapes.

IMG_0111

We then did “Squishy Symmetry” where we used our artistic skills to create our own symmetric pictures. I made sure to reemphasize the symmetry line as well as what made our objects symmetric (that they were like mirrors of each other – the exact same on both sides). The kids loved this!! IMG_0113    IMG_0112 Later that night, we had pizza for dinner. I started cutting the pizza, and after I cut it in half, Treyton piped up and said “Look mom, symmmery! Just like we learned today!” It was a neat moment, and I knew then that he “got it”.

I really did enjoy this product and I think it’s a great supplement to any math program. For me personally, I couldn’t see myself using it as my core math, only because I’m more of a math text book with a strong hands-on activities supplement kind of girl. Doing math with hands-on activities is a fun and easy way to teach difficult, often frustrating math concepts.

Shop

To see a sample of Getting Into Geometry click here.

To find out more information about AIMS Edcuation Foundation visit here.

And to see what my fellow TOS Crew Members are saying click here.

To Purchase a copy of Getting Into Geometry Activity Book ($24.95 for the PDF version), or to shop any of their other amazing Math or Science books, visit their website.

 

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of this review, due to my affiliation with the TOS Crew. The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: