Recommended for ages 2-4, this program follows the same Five in a Row approach of reading a story for five days in a row (hence the name) while supplementing in fun and educational activities to go along with the story.
Before Five in a Row is actually divided into two sections one section has 23 book-units (plus one extra), and the second section is full of ideas for learning readiness.
Books to “row” in B4FIAR:
- Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?, by N. W. Carlstrom
- Yellow Ball, by Molly Bang (out of print)
- My Blue Boat, by Chris L. Demarest (out of print)
- The Little Rabbit, by Judy Dunn
- Ask Mr. Bear, by Marjorie Flack
- Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloskey
- Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown
- The Big Green Pocketbook, by Candice Ransom
- The Runaway Bunny, by Margaret Wise Brown
- The ABC Bunny, by Wanda Gag
- If Jesus Came to My House, by Joan Gale Thomas
- Caps for Sale, by Esphyr Slobodkina
- The Carrot Seed, by Ruth Krauss
- The Snowy Day, by Ezra Jack Keats
- The Quiet Way Home, by Bonny Becker (out of print)
- Play With Me, by Marie Hall Ets
- Prayer for a Child, by Rachel Field
- I Am an Artist, by Pat L. Collins
- Angus Lost, by Marjorie Flack
- Katy No-Pocket, by Emmy Payne
- We’re Going On a Bear Hunt, by Michael Rosen
- The Red Carpet, by Rex Parkin (out of print)
- Corduroy, by Don Freeman
- Jenny’s Surprise Summer, by Eugenie (out of print)
I LOVE the philosophy of this program. The literature element that is central to this curriculum is the foundation of our schooling, which I appreciate. This is a fun, easy program that teaches the youngest student without pressure or the chance of robbing your child of their “funnest” years. B4FIAR allows for a gentle introduction to learning, without too much structure.
While I think some of the ideas are simple and that some parents/teaches could come up with some of these ideas on their own, there are many ideas that I (personally) never would have come up with on my own, but they add a fun, educational element to reading that only adds to the fun of the story.
Whether you homeschool or not, this is a great program to use with your preschooler.
To Purchase this Product:
This product is sold exclusively through rainbow resource for $35.
To see what others are saying, visit the TOS Crew Blog.
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book due to my affiliation with the TOS Crew, for the purpose of my honest review. The opinions expressed are my own.