Sunday, October 16, 2011

MFW Co-op: Human Body

We had a great co-op this month studying the human body.

FIRST GRADERS

I taught the first graders this time, and I was a little unsure of how to fit “The Human Body” into and hour and half. So… instead of trying to fit in a bunch of information in a little amount of time, I decided to do the best I could with an overview that the kids and mom’s could use later when they studied the Human Body. IMG_0041I got the basic idea of making a life like human body from pink and green mama but of course tweeked it a little bit. I downloaded the Scholastic Easy Make & Learn Projects: Human Body for our personal studies, and found a gold mind of awesome life-like printables that I was able to use with our co-op. IMG_0042I cut out all the pieces before hand and used Alexa’s body traces (because our skeleton pieces fit her size the best). IMG_0008So it was all set and ready to go before the kids got there.

IMG_0043

We started with attaching the brain, then did the skeleton, heart, lungs, stomach, liver, esophagus, and intestines. For each part of the body I read a short section out of Usborne’s First Encyclopedia of the Human Body

After attaching the skeleton, we taped the other organs and parts on where they would flip out so that the students could go back and look at any of the parts they wanted to.

Here is Treyton’s finished body:

PRESCHOOL GROUP

This month, Kelly, one of the mom’s that teach the preschool group e-mailed me and told me what they did in their group. So I get to share it with you all!

They read 2 books: My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss (talking about feelings) and Eyes, Nose, Fingers, Toes by Judy Hindley (to talk about body/senses). They discussed things that they hear, smell, taste, how things feel, what they see, etc.

They also did ABC exercise activity cards.

And played musical instruments and sang a song to highlight how they can make music to 'hear'. IMG_0045Lastly, they traced and colored their bodies.   IMG_0046

GENERAL CO-OP INFORMATION

Having this type of co-op is truly a blessing, this was our third month and you can tell that the kids are really starting to get to know one another and build strong relationships. IMG_0047We meet at 10:00, have lunch at 12:00 and usually the kids play after that for a couple of house before people start heading home. It’s a really fun time.  IMG_0050 Here is a picture of the kids in the co-op minus two of the little ones. They were building a fort in the backyard here.

IMG_0054

Here’s them, being a little goofy (LOVE IT!)

1 comment:

Mama Teaching 3 said...

I love it! Years ago when I first started homeschooling Elijah he and I did something just like this together. Thankyou for bringing the memory back. :) I love a neat hands on study.