Monday, October 17, 2011

TOS Review: Educating the Wholehearted Child

HSCrew468x60Animated

When I received Apologia’s “Educating the Wholehearted Child” written by Clay and Sally Clarkson, my first thought was “wow… that’s a lot of reading, I’ll never be able to read the whole thing.”

I was wrong.

I can’t hardly put it down.

On top of that, I didn’t get through the first page before I heard myself say “amen” and start reading excerpts out loud for my husband to hear as well.

A week or so after I started reading this book Tim said “I really like this book your reading, I can tell it’s making a big difference.”

imageProduct Description (from Apologia’s Website):

“God did not forget to include "school" in his biblical design for raising children&mdash:home education is a natural expression of all that God intended for parents and their children. Clay and Sally Clarkson's Educating the WholeHearted Child is about rediscovering God's original design for the family. What you'll find in this book is a homeschooling model that makes sense. It's an approach that is based on sound biblical principles of nurture, discipleship, instruction, and learning. Newly revised and significantly expanded, Educating the WholeHearted Child is about much more than homeschooling; it is about life. Effective Christian homeschooling must begin with the sure foundation of a Christian home, and the Clarksons' uncomplicated, common-sense approach to life and learning will provide you with the tools you need to experience God's abundant blessings for your family.”

Product Review

This book has reminded me of all the reasons why I homeschool, and even given me a few more, and as if that weren’t enough it’s a great resource book.

I have read a few of Sally Clarkson’s books (namely The Mission of Motherhood and most recently I started the Ministry of Motherhood), and they are, life changing. This book is just as amazing.

The Clarkson’s teach a method of homeschooling that they call “WholeHearted Learning” (which is very similar the the Charlotte Mason approach). They include recommended resources, helpful tips and what their approach has looked like in their own home.

This book is well-written, easy to read and so full of encouraging, practical tips that any homeschooling family can benefit from it. I’ve read several great homeschooling books, but if I could recommend only one book to homeschooling parents, whether starting out or mature homeschoolers, it would be this one.

To See What Others are Saying visit the TOS Crew blog.

You can see the complete Table of Contents and a Sample Chapter here.

You can purchase a copy of this book for $22 from apologia.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Apologia as part of the TOS Crew, the opinions expressed are my own, I received no other compensation for my review.

1 comment:

Blossom said...

I think this is a wonderful book! I haven't been able to finish the entire book yet but pick it up often. I have also read the Ministry of Motherhood (which is also wonderful) and thought this would be a *good* book. I was wrong- it is absolutely WONDERFUL.
Nice review :)