Friday, October 14, 2011

(Week 13) Adventures Week 9 – George Washington

IMG_0072 Read Alouds:

Other Read-Alouds:

Reading

Books Treyton Read Aloud this Week:

  • George Washington and the General’s Dog by Frank Murphy
    • I loved that Treyton actually read a book that went along with our history this week. It was a level 3, which I wasn’t sure he would be able to get through, but he did awesome!

He read some other books as well (two others) but I cannot remember which ones…

There are weeks that I am not as “on top of” Treyton’s reading as I should be, and I don’t require what I should of him. I’m trying to do better. I have recently added to his reward reading chart that he must spend 50 minutes a week (in at least 10 minute increments) reading to himself. We separated his readers into two piles ones that now count as his read-alouds to mom, and his “easier” (some even memorized) books into a read-alone pile. I told him that he can try to read ANY book during his read-alone time, but that to read with mom and for the book to count, he needed to be reading at least a level 2 or a tough level 1.

This has slowed him down a little bit on receiving a reward, but it’s really good for him, and he actually seems to enjoy it. I bought him a fun little timer, that makes his reading time even more fun!

History

We spent the first day of this week finishing our Benjamin Franklin lap journal, so we really only studied Washington for 3 days this week, and actually left out most of the Paul Revere reading, planning to push it to next week.

We started our studies this week by looking at the dollar bill and pointing out that George Washington was on the front of it. We talked about how important he must have been for our country to put him on the dollar bill. This peaked Treyton’s interest to learn more about him.

imageWe actually visited Mount Vernon a year or so ago, while visiting my sister in Virginia. We talked about our time there, and looked at a few of our pictures.

I didn’t have any time to do very many “extra” activities other than our reading, no worries though, the kids managed to come up with an awesome one on their own!! 

IMG_0023 They built a fort together on the back patio, like the one Washington built when fighting the French and Indians who were trying to take the English land.

IMG_0025

I had Treyton make a Tricorn Hat, like Washinton’s. He wore this thing for over an hour the first day… I think it made him feel tough. IMG_0002

Nature Walk & Journaling

 IMG_0010We had absolutely beautiful weather this week, so we spent a little time outside on a nature walk, drawing in our nature journals.

IMG_0012 Treyton found lots of interesting things.

IMG_0007 Audrey, however, was not having any of it!! :(

Bible Memorization – AWANA

IMG_0081_1

Treyton continues with his AWANA verses and weekly AWANA meetings. I have actually slowed him down a little bit as we go back and review all of the verses we haven’t been reviewing. I just stumbled across the Scripture Memory Box System from Simply Charlotte Mason, which I am thinking about making for our family to use, I want to make sure that Treyton is really understanding the verses he is (and has) learned. The past few weeks he has been focusing on John 3:14-16:

“Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of man must be lifted up that everyone who believes in Him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.”

Piano

Treyton is in his 6th week of Piano class. He is learning solfege (which basically means, he’s learning do, re, mi, fa, so instead of note names to start) through the yamaha music class. So far he has learned (well) 5 songs, and is currently practicing 3 others. IMG_0004

We are so proud of all of his hard work. He practices 5 times a week for about 15-20 minutes. He has memorized most of the songs thus far, but is slowly learning how to read the music as well. He also recognizes quarter notes, quarter rests, half notes and whole notes. He has worked with staccato notes and slur notes and has learned the difference between the G clef and F clef.

I’m actually happy to be on this ride with him, I’ve learned more about music in the past 6 weeks than I ever have in my life. It’s been a lot of fun, as a family to bring the gift of musical talent into our home. I can’t wait to see what His plan is through it all.

Math

IMG_0012Treyton is about halfway through the Singapore 1B book. This week we introduced the concept of dividing, half and fourths.

To illustrate this, Treyton cut up a piece of paper, into halves first and then fourths.

Spelling

We are on step 20 in All About Spelling which is the consonant blend ‘ng’. Treyton mastered the rule and words within in the first couple of days.

Extra Thoughts

Though it was a very busy week, and I didn’t add in as many things as I had wanted too, the kids still had fun, and actually learned a thing or two along the way, too. I’m grateful that God allows these weeks to come every now and again, to remind me that our schooling is based on His plan and not mine (and praise Him for that)!!

It’s easy to forget our goal by focusing on the methods. It isn’t about what I’m teaching or how I’m teaching it – it’s about WHO I’m teaching them about. Any education they get along the way is truly just a bonus!!

I am in the process of reading “Educating the Whole-hearted Child” by Clay and Sally Clarkson (amazing book by the way), and I wanted to close this post with a quote that I have been pondering much of this week:

home education is not our primary goal – home nurture and discipleship are, and home education is simply the natural extension of those biblical priorities.” 

LINKS

Weekly Wrap-Up

4 comments:

Mariah said...

The fort looks like a lot of fun! Starting piano lessons is wonderful! I have played since I was 6! Our piano needs a visit from the piano doctor since being moved downstairs, but then we will start piano lessons here too!

Jodi said...

I so enjoyed reading your post and viewing all of your pictures . . . I kind of felt like we do school in a parallel way! The Awana picture of the kids was so cute! So what are your thoughts on Singapore? I am wondering if when Asher finishes with Saxon whether to do Singapore or Math U See. Thoughts? And your piano spurs me on to resume our guitar!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

I love the fort!

Casey said...

Looks like a good week, I want my son to learn piano too, but I'm not sure when to start. I love the quote at the end, I think I may have to get that book.