Sunday, October 30, 2011

(Week 14) Adventures Week 10 – Revolution and Declaration of Independence

This is the week Treyton has been waiting for!! He has been asking when America was going to be fighting and when we were going to learn about war. (Boys will be boys I guess).

Along with learning about the Revolutionary War we also learned about the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson and because we didn’t fit him in last week, we also touched on Paul Revere and the Boston Tea Party.

Needless to say, it was a very busy week. I had to remind myself over and over again that we are only doing a relaxed overview of American History and that we don’t have to learn everything this time around!!

IMG_0001Read Alouds:

Other Read Alouds:

What Treyton Read this Week:

American Flag:

IMG_0073

We’ve made the American flag before, but this time we made the original stars and stripes, after we read the book “Red, White and Blue” – putting only 13 stars on the flag, we talked about why there were 13 stars and stripes on the original flag, which is the same reason why we only have 13 stripes on our flag today.  IMG_0082

Boston Tea Party:

In honor of learning about the Boston Tea Party this week, we decided to have a little “tea party” of our own.IMG_0087

We made some tea, sat down and read a few select pages out of Jean Fritz’s “Then What Happened Paul Revere” (specifically the pages referring to the Boston Tea Party). We talked about the men dressing up to look like Indians, going aboard the ships and dumping over 10,000 pounds of tea into the harbor. Of course Treyton wanted to know why, so we talked about what a tax is, and why the American’s didn’t want to pay it.

IMG_0090

This conversation took only a few minutes, but Treyton begged to read more and to talk about it more…. I knew I didn’t want to go into any more detail than I already had, so I just re-read the pages in our book.

Several times since our “tea party” he’s asked “Mom, can we have another Boston Tea Party?”

Make Hasty Pudding

I will be honest, I saw the recipe for hasty pudding and thought “hmmm… maybe we’ll pass on this” it did not look like something that the kids or I would enjoy. But… I decided to go ahead and try it, and guess what?

IMG_0006

The kids loved the entire thing, making it (which I knew they would), eating it and talking about it.

IMG_0009

We added milk and agave nectar, except for Treyton, who did not add milk, but just the nectar.

IMG_0012They ate the entire pan (except for a little bit I saved for Tim to try later) and Audrey actually cried when it was gone. :)

IMG_0011

Lapjournal

Treyton colored two uniform pictures out of our dover coloring book:

IMG_0083one of a British soldier, one of an American soldier. We added these to his lapjournal as well as his narration. IMG_0069 

IMG_0070We also included a copy of the Declaration of Independence.

IMG_0071Overall, I felt like we had a pretty productive week, considering we were carrying so much over from week 9, and covering such a big topic.

Treyton loved the war talk, though he doesn’t understand it all and asks lots of questions, questions I can’t always answer.

Next week, we will be learning about President George Washington.

3 comments:

Tiff said...

I loved teaching that time period to my son last year!=) Looks like a fun week!

Monica said...

My girls would love to come to your next tea party! I loved reading the Sarah Whitcher's story last year.

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

I'm loving your blog! There are so many great ideas, pictures, resources - YEAH!

I just saw your blog at the Homeschool Blog Awards and decided to come check you out. I am your newest follower & email subscriber and would love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-)
Beth

www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com