Tuesday, November 8, 2011

FIAR: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

image Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening written by Robert Frost (Illustrated by Susan Jeffers)

Go-Alongs

Other Robert Frost Poems

Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit by Il Sung Na

Coloring a Woods Setting

We talked about the woods and the type of animals we could find there. We filled out the homeschool share lapbook piece for all the Animals in the Story.

We flipped through our book and talked about all the different animals the illustrator included. I then had Lexie color a woodsy scene.

IMG_0001

Animal Tracks

I printed off the animal track matching cards (which I cannot find from where) for Alexa to do, she struggled with this, so we mostly did it together.

IMG_0006It was a fun little exercise for us.

IMG_0004

Painting a Snow Picture

I had Lexa use white paint to make snow pictures, but inevitably if you give this girl a piece of paper, paint and time, she literally paints the ENTIRE page :) So, she painted a blizzard, it’s still fun!  IMG_0044T is for Trees

We focused on the letter T this week, she did Confessions of a Homeschooler’s T do-a-dot page

IMG_0003…. and practiced writing the letter T

IMG_0053

Snowflake Craft

IMG_0037I had Lexie paint some popsicle sticks white

IMG_0038 which we then assembled into snowflakes, after they dried

IMG_0077  

Color Matching

Alexa is always asking for “more, more, more” so she’s always doing more than what I am able to post on. This week she rediscovered her color paintbrush matching folder game.

Teaching Poetry

This was really the kids and I first in-depth look at a poem. We’ve read a few poems here and there, but never spend much time on them. I used this week to have the kids read and write some of their own poetry.

From Let’s Explore, I got the idea to have the kids write their on “five sense poem”.

Treyton wrote “Baseball”

I see bases

I feel a bat

I taste a win

I hear people shouting

I smell grass

Alexa wrote “Carnival”

I see a blue game

I feel candy in my hands

I taste a chocolate brownie

I hear boys and girls laughing

I smell a tasty sandwich 

IMG_0073

Later I also had them complete the “Animal Poem” which I found over at Delightful Learning, though she found it from somewhere else. I felt like these were great activities, particularly for Treyton, who went into the week saying “I hate poems” and at the end of the week, had written two poems himself and admittedly stated “I guess they’re not that bad.”

IMG_0074Rhyming

We talked about poems and that sometimes poems rhyme. We put together a rhyming tree. Each of the kids had a different tree.

IMG_0087

Alexa and I worked together. I obviously had to read the words to her, and then she would say whether or not they rhymed or not. Treyton completed his mostly on his own.

IMG_0080

Links & Resources

Puffy Snowflake Craft

Snowflake Prints

Animal Poetry @ Early Bird Homeschool

Lapbook @ Homeschool Share

Rowing Week of Stopping by the Woods @ Delightful Learning

Audio of the Poem 

Video of Poem (soundscape)

Woodsy Coloring Pages

Shel Silverstein Poetry PDF

4 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I love the idea of the 5 senses poem! Also, one year a family friend made snowflakes like that and embellished with glitter and white buttons and then gave them away as gifts to others in our small group. We still have ours!

Moments With April said...

You do such an awesome job! I want to come to your homeschool! ;)

How much time to you take planning?

Also, are you using FIAR instead of or just before you use MFWK with your daughter?

Hi from southern WI!

Amber said...

@ April - thank you!! That's very sweet. It's hard to say how much time I take to plan, because I will do chunks of planning at a time (though I try not to plan too far in advance, because I never know what's going to work, or how long it's going to work for us) but I would say I take a Saturday every 9 weeks or so and plan out the next quarter of school. (That includes 1st grade using MFW Adventures, FIAR, our daily board, artist study, and AWANA verses)
I am currently using FIAR as more of a preschool than Kindergarten curriculum, trying to tie together as much of Lexie and Treyton's school as I can.
I am going back and forth on whether or not I'm going to use MFW K or not with her. Next year I know I want to use some type of Letter of the Week curriculum but I highly doubt I will choose just one curriculum and use it - I will probably add bits and pieces from different ones; including MFW K and Confessions of a Homeschooler.
Hope that answers your question!!
Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!!

SarahElisabeth said...

Thank you-I'm hoping to "row" Stopping by woods" next week so this was really useful.