Wednesday, November 2, 2011

TOS Review: Ooka Island

Ooka Island Adventures is an online independent reading curriculum for preschoolers to second grade. This program “blends print concepts, phonemic awareness, phonics and language based reading” and progresses until the child is at a second grade reading level.

image Product Review:

This product is a downloadable program. It is a large file. You will want to make sure that your computer has the right requirements to use it.

While my computer met the requirements, we did experience a few minor difficulties when running the program. There were times when it was “choppy” while other times it would run smoothly.

In addition to this the first several times we used the program, after closing it, our other programs (that were open) would force close or cause the computer to freeze up at which point I would need to restart it. After this happened a few times, I contacted technical support, they were extremely quick in responding to the concerns I had and said they were aware of the problem of the freeze-ups and programs shutting down and that they were near releasing a patch to fix the problem.

Treyton enjoys most computer games, and this one was no exception. His favorite game was the Alphabet Mountain which was a skateboarding game. He is already reading at a first grade level, so I didn’t notice a huge improvement in his reading while using this program, but it was great review for him, and like I said, he enjoyed it, so I had no problem getting him to play the games.

They offer a buy or try program which you can sign up for on their website.

They have several different purchasing options available for homeschoolers or teachers, you will want to check their website for exact pricing. For a homeschooler, for a one month login it’s $12.95, a year subscription is $99.95.

To see what my fellow crew members are saying visit the TOS Crew Blog.

Disclosure: I received a complimentary subscription to this program for the purpose of my honest review. The opinions expressed are my own. I received no other compensation for this review.

No comments: