Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Week 25: (Adv. Week 21) Robert Fulton, IN, MS & FIAR: Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel

Treyton found Robert Fulton’s life and story pretty interesting so we not only read it out of the Story of the U.S. book, we also read a couple Robert Fulton books from the library.

Read Alouds:

Robert Fulton:

After reading our books on the life of Robert Fulton, Treyton completed a notebooking page for his American History Notebook.

IMG_0719 

We also placed his timeline figure on the timeline. Treyton is excited to see our timeline really “booming” in the early 1800s.

State Pages

IMG_0746_edited-1

IMG_0748  IMG_0747 FIAR: Mike Mulligan

To go along with our studies of steam engines we rowed the FIAR book “Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel” by Virginia Lee Burton.

I ordered this book, instead of getting it from the library this time because the kids enjoyed “Katy and the Big Snow”, so much, plus it came with a CD, which I was excited about, for both the kids love listening to story books on CD.

Shape Review

We went ahead and reviewed our shapes, which the kids are not the strongest in remembering, so it was nice to spend a little review time on them.

IMG_0712

Square Brownies

We made a pan of brownies, which I had Treyton cut a “neat square” from. IMG_0676We then added a little digger and lots of “dirt” (graham cracker crumbs). IMG_0684It was not only cute, it was yummy, too!     IMG_0689 

IMG_0690

Steam Experiment

We tried to complete a steam experiment with a pinwheel, but it didn’t work as well as I expected. It would not really turn the pinwheel at all. But I was still able to explain how it was supposed to work, and the concept behind the steam “technology”.

Steam Technology

I got a DVD from the library called “The Way Things Work: Steam Power” imageTreyton really enjoyed it and learned a lot, I’m excited because our system, has quite a few DVDs from this series, and I plan on using them!!

 

Math

Treyton finished his Singapore 1B math book this week and was SUPER excited to do so! Next week we will start Singapore Math 2A.

 

Language Arts & Explode the Code 

Treyton is flying through book 3, and I expect him to finish it up next week and to start with book 4. We didn’t complete any of our Language Lessons or All About Spelling this week, due to time, but will pick them back up next week. IMG_0645 I also had him complete a few more compound worksheets that I found on-line, he completed them with no mistakes. I’ve noticed a drastic improvement in his reading recently and I think part of it is accredited to him actually understanding and being able to break down syllables better.

 

Farmer Boy

We finished reading Farmer Boy, a few weeks behind schedule, but at least we finished. We really enjoyed the book, and Treyton would ask to read it, but with all the detail, he missed out on a lot of what the book has to offer. Next we are supposed to read On the Banks of Plum Creek, but I have decided to hold off on reading the Laura Ingalls books until I feel like both of the kids will get more out of them. They are such incredible books, and I really want the kids to learn all that they can from them.

I am thinking next week starting “Sarah Plain and Tall”…. we’ll see though.

 

History Review

I received a free copy of Learn our History “The Birth of the Revolution” DVD, which I had the kids watch. Treyton was so excited as he recognized things that we have learned about – like the Boston tea party! I appreciated some of the Biblical references (like Moses and the Exodus) but did not really appreciate the dynamic between the time traveling students. One of the boys was crushing on one of the girls, there was a “bully” of the group, that was not very kind to his fellow students. The history part, good, the social part, not so great. 

 

Next week we will be learning about Illinois, Alabaman and the Wagon Trail.

No comments: