Saturday, March 31, 2012

Week 28 (Adventures 24) Samuel Morse, Florida & Texas

State Studies: Florida and Texas

We read a book about hurricanes this week, in addition I found a video at the library on Hurricane Katrina that we watched – it was a tear jerker for me, Treyton was all about the storm.   IMG_1530  IMG_1529 

IMG_1532 

IMG_1531

Samuel MorseIMG_1524We read about Samuel Morse in “The Story of the U.S.” written by Marie Hazel, put up our timeline piece and then I had Treyton complete his notebooking page. IMG_1527

We used our Morse Code Sheet from MFW to “code” a few words to one another (like the kid’s names). Treyton enjoyed this.

IMG_1528

Read-Alouds

Math

Treyton continues to do increasingly complicated addition problems in his Singapore Math 2A book, and is understanding the concepts well. It’s fun to watch him master such a needed math tool. IMG_1095

Science:

In R.E.A.L Life Science this week we learned about Cnidaria focusing primarily on Jelly Fish. Treyton has always had an interest in Jellyfish (though he keeps calling them octopuses).

I had him watch a few jellyfish videos on National Geographic, God has made some truly amazing creatures. The kids LOVED watching the videos and I cannot tell you how much they learned from a few videos – Treyton, I knew would, but Alexa blew me away. It’s been a few weeks actually sense we watched the videos and Alexa is still telling me things, here and there, that she learned. IMG_1061

We did a couple of different labs, one of which we colored and illustration of the life cycle of a sea jelly, the second one we made a hands-on illustration with cups, yarn and tape. This was a GREAT activity to actually “see” and re-enact what we were learning about (this is just one of the things we love about R.E.A.L Life Science).

(Side Note: I took pictures of all of his Jelly Fish studies, but I thought I had already posted them, so I deleted them… ooops… Oh well, you’ll just have to take my word for a job well done.)

Bible: Jesus Calms the Storm

We read the story of Jesus Calming the Storm in our Hands-on Children’s Bible (which I love, especially for Alexa’s level). After reading it a few days in a row, we had a little water fun of our own. I filled up the tub, and had the kids lean over the edge to create a storm. When I called out “Jesus calms the storm,” the kids would stop the storm and watch as it calmed down.

No comments: