Thursday, April 12, 2012

Artist Study: Georgia Okeeffe

IMG_0264 I had seen some of Georgia Okeeffe’s paintings and knew I wanted to do an artist study on her, but once I saw that she was actually born near Sun Prairie Wisconsin (!) I couldn’t wait to do a study on her!! Personally, I love her style of paintings, and think that they are absolutely stunning.

Facts About Okeeffe:

* Most known for her oversized flower paintings

* She lived to be 98 years old, having lived in Wisconsin, New York, and making her permanent home in New Mexico. 

Paintings we Studied

image Oriental Poppies

image Shell No. 1

image Sky Above White Clouds 1

imagePansy, 1926

image Abstraction White Rose, 1927

Puzzle from Confessions of a Homeschooler

IMG_1426 

Artist Recreation and Flower Painting

IMG_1010 

IMG_1014

 IMG_1018

IMG_1020 

Quotes

“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say in any other way— things that I had no words for.”

“Nobody sees a flower, really, it’s so small. We haven’t time – and to see takes time…. So I said to myself: I’ll paint what I see – what the flower is to me – but I’ll paint it big…. I’ll make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers.”

Books

My Name is Georgia by Jeanette Winter

Georgia Okeefe (Getting to know the World’s Greatest Artist) by Mike Venezia

No comments: