Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Finishing First Grade and MFW Adventures

I didn’t finish the year so great with posting, but we did do great finishing it well. We have had a LOT of fun with MFW Adventures this year and I highly, highly recommend the program to anyone who’s children fall into the 1st-3rd grade age group.

We finished up our state studies completing our pages and Treyton’s U.S. History Binder, which, by the way, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him more proud of any other school project he’s ever done!!

The states we finished in the last three weeks were:

  • Montana
  • Washington
  • Idaho
  • Wyoming
  • Oklahoma
  • New Mexico
  • Alaska
  • Hawaii

We also studied some of the early American inventors, the two that Treyton were most interested in were Thomas Edison and the Wright Brothers. Luckily I was able to get the American Hero Classic DVDs on them both (I guess I mean all 3 of them) from the library. We have really enjoyed this series throughout our study of American History, both Treyton and I would recommend it.

Read-Alouds (I know there were others, but I already forgot which ones they were, and they were returned to the library)

  • “My Brother’s Flying Machine” by Jane Yolen
  • “Welcome to the Sea of Sand” by Jane Yolen
  • “Fire Storm” by Jean Georga
  • “The Long Way to a New Land” by Joan Sandin
    • This was Treyton’s read-aloud
  • “Thomas Edison”

We finished putting our timeline pieces on our timeline, including Hawaii becoming the last and final state, the Wright Brothers and Thomas Edison.

Finishing Up – Me in the United States

I spent a day adding in some fun The United States and Me activities to personalize all that we’ve learned to them. I had each of the kids (and myself) color a US Map of each of the states that they have visited. This was interesting to see. First of all, I’ve only visited a handful of states more than what they visited and NONE of us have been further west than Minnesota, minus one visit to South Dakota for a friends wedding back in 2000. We’ve decided that our next vacation should definitely be west.

I also had the kids put together a me on the map circle project I found on pinterest. The largest circle starts with our continent and the smaller the circles get the more specific they get, all the way to our street and address.

We had so much more that we did, but I don’t have my pictures or my records out anymore (I have already filed away our records and books from last year). So this is just coming from my memory. :)

1 comment:

All of a Kind Family said...

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful year! We are looking forward to Adventures with my next little. It will be my 2nd time :)

Thank you for sharing so many good posts! I'm sure that I will be visiting often and gleaning from your ideas.