Sunday, June 10, 2012

“Summer Break” Reading List

We don’t really take a summer break, but we have taken a few weeks off from school to enjoy the nice weather, have a couple garage sales, and to just take a breather.

Of course, this doesn’t mean we stop reading – here are a few of the books that we’ve read on our break:

  • Billy and Blaze by C.W. Anderson
    • Treyton enjoyed this story, I think I have a couple more of them (from this series) on our bookshelf downstairs that I may pull out to keep him interested.
  • Pagoo by Holling C. Holling
    • I have been waiting for the kids to get to a place where they can sit through and enjoy this book, and I think we’ve finally arrived. We’re only a few chapters in but the kids are learning so much about ocean life!
  • One Nation (America by the Numbers)
    • We read this book as a type of review/wrap-up from our American History studies for the year. I want to keep it fresh in their mind some of the key people, places and things that we learned. Treyton really enjoys this series, so it was a good choice for him.
  • Bear’s Loose Tooth by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman
  • Jack’s Garden by Henry Cole
  • Bumblebee by J.V. Wilson
  • Look and Compare: A Photo Analogy Game by Kristen McCurry
    • Treyton loves analogies, so this was a fun book to go through with him.
  • Garden Wigglers: Earthworms in Your Backyard by Nancy Loewen
  • Bear Dance by Jan Wahl

Treyton’s Books (that he read):

He also read his entire superhero book, that I can’t recall the name of right now.

For Christmas, my sister got Treyton the book Shiloh and the audio CD, He has thoroughly enjoyed listening through the CDs the last couple of weeks. He has retold me the story and remembered it in great detail. He has asked me to get him some more. Our library system has a great selection of audio books, so we plan on picking up a few more (suggestions are always welcome),

Treyton’s reading has improved dramatically over the past several months. He is not the most fluid reader, but his comprehension is much better than I had originally thought.

He’s doing really well, and Tim and I are both very proud of his effort and what he has done.

1 comment:

Kim said...

We're reading Pagoo right now too! We love it!