Friday, July 6, 2012

For the Love of Lists… (To Do) Field Trip Ideas for 2012-2013

I have gone ahead and as I’ve thought of field trips I want to do throughout the school year, I’ve been “writing them down” here to share and keep up with. I will be adding and updating this list throughout the year, but for now, this is what I have thought of.

House on the Rock, Spring Green Wisconsin

Door County Art Museums there are several close by each other each hosting lots of metal arts, some of which Tim’s company sold the metal for

Cave of the Mounds, Blue Mounds, Wisconsin

Train Ride at the Mid-Continent Railway Museum in North Freedom, Wisconsin. Offers a 55 minute roundtrip train rides in 1900-era train cars pulled by a diesel locomotive.

or

National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, there is a 25 minute train guided museum tour available.

Hands-on Art Studio in Door County a walk in art studio offering a variety of walk in art areas including ceramics, metal art, mosaics, wood, glass wear, glass fusing, and more. 

Door County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. They have a special pirates section that I think Treyton and Alexa would both really enjoy, not to mention the other great stuff there.

Door County Lighthouse Trolley Tours, this is an expensive activity so we may wait on this one until the kids are a little older, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Mulberry Lane Farm a local hands on farm that we’ve never actually been to but that LOTS of people have recommended to us.

or

The Farm (also in Door County) is a living museum of rural America. The kids can feed goats, pigs, cows and more.

EAA Oshkosh Air Museum

Dairy View Country Farm is another farm that offers a milking pen and homemade ice cream that I would love to visit as well.

Harvesting Field Trips – Apple picking, Strawberry picking, Cherry picking and Raspberry picking are all things I want to do with the kids this year as well, not just for the experience, but we love to make jams out of the berries, and I’ve never done anything with cherry’s before, but I would love the chance to try.

Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum in Pepin, Wisconsin. The birthplace of Laura Ingalls. There are a few other Laura Ingalls museums I would eventually like to take the kids to (one in Walnut Grove, Minnesota and another in DeSmet, South Dakota) but we’re not traveling those directions this year, so maybe another year.

Laura Ingalls Wilder Days at Heritage Hill on July 27th

Cheese Factory Tour, we have them all over here, and I’m not picky about which one we visit, but it would be great for the kids to see the process in real person.

Children’s Museum in Madison, Wisconsin

Horseback Riding this is a MUST do with Treyton this year. He has been really interested in riding a horse. I don’t think I would be able to do it with him being pregnant, and it not being my horse, but Tim has said that he would be willing to go with him somewhere.

Neville Museum in Green Bay, we did this two years ago, but I don’t think the kids even remember it. It’s close and something I’m sure we will do several times.

CHICAGO FIELD TRIPS

Lego Land in Chicago

Metropolitan Museum of Art in Chicago they supposedly have a Monet and Picasso painting there, both of whom we’ve studied.

and on our way down to Chicago a fun stop a long the way would be the Jelly Belly Factory Tour in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

FINE ARTS FIELD TRIPS

We have already signed up for the Theatre Shows coming up for the 2012-2013 season, we enjoyed them so much last year that I signed up for even more this year, a total of 8. I have back up for the ones that I can’t make, Aunt Toni and Mommer enjoy going to the shows with them as well, so between the four of us (Tim, Toni, Mommer and I) I know the kids will get to the shows. Here are the ones we’re signed up for:

  • Imaginocean (November 1st)
    • Treyton and Alexa
  • A Little Princess (December 12th)
    • Treyton
  • Charlotte’s Web (February 8th)
    • Treyton
  • Guess How Much I Love You (February 20th)
    • Treyton and Alexa
  • Shanghai Circus (March 6th)
    • Treyton
  • Three Little Pigs (March 22nd)
    • Treyton
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible Very Bad Day (April 16th)
    • Treyton and Alexa
  • Seussical (May 9th)
    • Treyton and Alexa

4 comments:

Leigh said...

This is a great list. Thanks for putting it together. We are excited to visit the railroad museum after seeing your post about it.

We are also going to Chicago in September to visit the Lego Discovery Center, Shedd Aquarium and whatever else we can fit in.

I am curious about attending events at FCPAC. Are you going with a homeschool group or can you sign up just for your family to attend? I tried to buy tickets online and it asked me how many students and teachers would be attending? Any help you could share would be great. Thanks again.

Kristina said...

What a great list! I would like to check out the Cave Mounds, too! It's been advertised in a local Chicago magazine.

I'd also like to go to the Jelly Bean Factory! Lol! I don't know if it's really worth the drive, but I think it would be fun : )

Legoland isn't very big, but if you have a lego lover, I think he'll be impressed. We went last year, I think Tyler was a bit too young to enjoy it all-- but he keeps talking about how he wants to go again! It's amazing what they have built using legos!

Enjoy the rest of your field trips!!

Anonymous said...

I love your list. We live about an hour north of you and homeschool. I may use your list as a great list for us also. I wanted to add some more for you to think about....

EAA Oshkosh Air Museum - The air shows in July are fantastic also.

Bontanical Gardens in Green Bay - We have had a lot of fun going there, especially for the Christmas Displays.

Heritage Hill in Green Bay - They have a nice Laura Ingalls Event at the end of July. They also sponser many homeschool classes.

Just a few more to add....

Sara said...

Hi Amber, My name is Sara and I've got 3 kiddos almost the same ages as yours. We're flip flopped. My girls are 6 and 4 (the four is also named Alexa) and my son is 2. I've been looking for timeline ideas and came across your blog. I've enjoyed my little stay and hope to come back for some more inspiration. I really like this idea of making a field trip list.