Books We Read
- “Matisse the King of Color” by Laurence Anholt
- “World’s Greatest Artist: Henri Matisse” by Mike Venezia
- “Henri Matisse Drawing with Scissors”
- The Usborne Book of Famous Paintings: Harmony in Red
- The Usborne Book of Famous Artist: Matisse
Pieces of Art We Studied:
Activities and Art Projects
Treyton painted a copy of Woman with a Hat from Making Learning Fun
While studying A King’s Sadness we completed the puzzle from Confession’s of a Homeschoolers Artist Study
While studying The Roof of Collioure we discussed the technique of pointillism. We used crayons and melted them with candles to create our own dot-filled creations. This project actually took a long while to complete – several hours, but we loved it!
And the finished projects:
When studying The Snail we discussed Matisse’s style he called painting with scissors. We painted 6 pages of colors (which worked out perfectly during the week Alexa was learning about color mixing :)) and then the kids cut them out and created their own works of art.
(For some reason I don’t have a picture of Alexa’s, but it turned out nice).
We had a great time studying about the artist Matisse.
This study took us about 6 weeks to complete.