Thursday, October 25, 2012

Daily Board & Notebook

I went back and forth on what to use this year for our daily elements. I love the daily board that we’ve been using, and the convenience of it on the wall – the obviousness of it – but the truth is I knew it could be better and more convenient.

In addition to the daily board, I have gone back to a “daily binder” for both of the kids. With the age difference between them, having individual daily binders ensures that I touch on the things that each child is currently learning or trying to memorize. There are some things they are doing together, but others that they are doing on their own.

Daily Notebook (Both Kids)

IMG_5185

  • Godly Character Traits @ Sarah’s Sweeties
    • This post is actually well past it’s prime in being posted, and for the sake of time I have recently removed these pages from the kid’s binder, however, I really did like them; it was just a matter of a good thing versus time issues.
  • State Pages @1+1+1=1
  • Calendar Pieces I got from all over, some from 1+1+1=1, some from Mama Jenn and a few from Confessions (I think)

IMG_5177

    • This is the biggest variety in Treyton’s binder, he has a few more calendar sheets than Alexa including Make the Date with Money and Write the Date worksheet.

IMG_5180

IMG_5176

USA Map & World Map @ Super Teachers Worksheets –

  • With Alexa we are currently reviewing three states (Wisconsin, Maine and Florida. We will add to these throughout the year as she masters them).

IMG_5183

  • With Treyton I am now, instead of calling out the name of a state and having him find it – I am having him find and name a specified number of states on his own (usually between 5-10). On the world map Treyton will review the continents and oceans.
  • Pledge of Allegiance & The Lord’s Prayer @ Homeschool Creations – The kids already have the Pledge of Allegiance memorized, we recite it about once a week if we remember. I want to start working on the Lord’s prayer soon. IMG_5181
  • Address and Phone Number @ Confessions of a Homeschooler. Treyton has both our address and phone number memorized, but I like to review it with him often, so he doesn’t forget. Lexie has the phone number down, and part of our address.

Alexa’s Preschool Binder

IMG_5186

Colors @ 1+1+1=1

Alphabet Chart @ Busy Teacher’s Cafe (They have tons of other helpful printables for mini offices if you’re interested). As Alexa learns the sounds that letters make, and not just the simple 1 sound we’re typically taught, but all the sounds that one letter makes, she gets to put a sticker on that letter. For example for c she has to know that it says both /k/ and /s/.

Confessions of a Homeschooler Preschool Daily Learning Binder Pages IMG_5187I only printed off the month and the days of the week calendar portions to add to Alexa’s binder. She really enjoys this element. IMG_5188

100s Chart @ Super Teacher Worksheets. I have Alexa practice counting every day by ones and sometimes by twos, and now we are working on 10s. I have her go as high as she can. She is currently counting to 39 with no problem.

 IMG_3717Daily Board Elements

I took Mama Jenn’s genius idea and put our calendar elements on the rings which has made it SOOO much more convenient – to the point that the kids are able to start their daily board without me completely (sooo nice)! I am liking this system so much better.

I also added to our daily board:

  • Shape Cards
  • The Lord’s Prayer which is our current memory work as a family
  • Seasons Wheel
  • Time Clock
  • The Books of the Bible for review
  • Weather from Confessions of a Homeschooler
  • Days of School Chart

We usually review the elements of the daily board all together once or twice a week rather than doing it everyday, just for the sake of time. But the kids will update our calendar and calendar elements daily because they enjoy it and because with this new system, THEY CAN!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love the idea of a daily notebook! Thank you for posting it. We have daily calendar time but it would be so much simpler to do notebook time each day! Love it! Might have to work on starting this soon with my two boys!