This year as we studied Thanksgiving the kids and I worked on making them their own books telling about the holiday.
I searched high and low on the internet and found lots of great sites (most of which are on my Thanksgiving Pinterest Board) however, very few of them were actually what I was looking for - I didn't want to spend a lot of time on activities and books on scarecrows, turkeys and pumpkins, but rather the First Thanksgiving and the Pilgrims.
After wasting hours of time :( I finally decided to purchase the Evan Moor's First Thanksgiving and Life in Plymouth Colony ebook from currclick. This along with some of the other printables I found ended up being exactly what I had envisioned.
I "wrote" a simple version of the First Thanksgiving story which we then cut up and pasted in our book. We then illustrated the book with different printables from either Evan Moor books or online.
Books We Read:
- The Pilgrims First Thanksgiving by Ann McGovern
- Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving by Eric Metaxas
- If You were at the First Thanksigiving by Anne Kamma
Extra Links & Resources:
- Free Pilgrim Unit – I haven’t checked this one out, but hey, you can’t beat free!!
- Color By Letter Turkey
- Early Settlers Unit @ Living Life Intentionally
- Thanksgiving Bible Lesson @ Littleblots.com
- Thanksgiving Lapbook Idea @ Adventisthomeducator.org
- Colonial America Copywork Book
- Scarecrow Printables @ 1+1+1=1